EP121 battery life numbers

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by heatlesssun, Jan 28, 2011.

1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just did my first battery life test, basicallly normal desktop use, web surfing, Flash video, inking a bit, Office. Got exactly 3.5 hours till sutdown at 3% on Balanced mode at 30% screen brightness. I'll update this post over weekend and fill in the blanks.

Battery Life:*

Desktop use WiFi and BT ON -----------------------------------------> 3.5 hours ----> This was at 40% brightness
    720P continuous playback over WiFi and BT ON -----------------------------------------> 2 hours 33 minutes
    1080P continuous playback over WiFi and BT ON
    720P continuous playback locally WiFi and BT OFF-----------------------------------------> 2 hours 49 minutes

1080P continuous playback locally WiFi and BT OFF

*Balanced Mode at 30% stutdown set at 3%, clean install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate:

2. Kaffeemann

Kaffeemann Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, thanks a lot for those numers. Hope they will help me decide wether to but the ep 121 or not :D

Although I would add idle time with BT and WiFi off, maximum battery settings, low screen brightness and almost no applications running.
    That would equal some kind of "reading and annotating pdf´s mode", which I intend to use the asus for.

3. awhitehouse

awhitehouse Pen Pal - Newbie

To add to the list of requests of things for you to test... ;)

I would be interested to know the performance of OneNote (if you have it) on Power Saving mode. Not so much for how what battery life is, but how does the system respond.

4. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

3.5hrs for basic desktop use at 40% brightness?

Ouch.

I'm interested in seeing how much worse 720P and 1080P playback is.

5. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

That's awfully disappointing. I was hoping for at least 5 hrs in those circumstances. Can you try it with bluetooth off?

6. heatlesssun

Actually that test was pretty decent I thought. I had 360P Flash running for about 2 hours and a BT mouse and keyboard attached and inking with the TIP which does eat a bit of CPU. 40% brightness on this device is actually very bright as well, for most environments for most people that's going to be all they need. 100% brightness on this thing actually is blinding in most indoor lighting to me when looking straight on at the screen. I will probably do the video tests at 30% and try the desktop at that level as well.

Battery life is the weak spot of this device but at the same time at the weight AND performance level this is pretty good. This a device could probably be down clocked a bit, that's sometimes I think would be worth looking into as I think I has enough performance to make that feasible. Plus a low battery profile could be setup, disabling Aero, transparency, etc.

7. Edwood

I don't mind limited battery life IF the battery is swappable with a spare one. But it's too bad Asus decided to copy Apple and limit the usefulness of the EP121 purely for the sake of minor aesthetics.

8. BradInOz

BradInOz IT Guru

Hey Heatless,

Just a thought - what about testing it with .MP4 video? Some people convert their movies to .MP4 so they can take them with them to watch at work during lunch etc.

I would love to try one with a digital copy of a movie that we sometimes get bundled with Blu-ray movies over here, but we use PAL which is a higher quality format.

(NOT poking fun - I know you use NTSC there, but from what I have seen from my trip over there last year, PAL does seem to be visually better quality - but that's just me...)

9. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the explanation. Could you do a test with ebook reading, WF and BT off and one with basic surfing with BT off please?

10. Meridicus

Meridicus Pen Pal - Newbie

Heat, on my TM2 and mobile phones, I've noticed that the batteries improve slightly after a number of full charge-and-drain cycles.

Maybe those number will improve with a bit more use?

11. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

Using Chrome as the browser you can enter Chrome://Plugins to disable/enable flash,
    that helps a lot with 2x-3x longer battery life on the Macbook Airs,
    hopefully will help here too.

The ULV Asus UL30Vt-X1 had 6+ hours battery life,
    surprised they could not get similar here.

Still glad ASUS got a quality Win7 tablet out at a decent price.
    Updated models will improve but this is a very good start, IMO.

12. heatlesssun

Windows seems to be a but more efficient with Flash than OSX which is one reason why Apple and Adobe are at odds and you'd probably not see significant gains. Also the Asus UL30Vt-X1 is over a pound heavier with a bigger battery.

13. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

If Asus or someone else comes out with a ULV Core 2 version with IPS screen that would be an instant hit. I would think most people who use a slate would be more concerned with battery life than with processing power. In this regard I think the ipad and android tablets got it right.

Heat -
    Could you add to your battery tests one with power plan set to power saving mode if it can handle all your normal computing needs. I think this mode forces the processor to always operate with the lowest vcore and multiplier values.

14. cfdevkev

cfdevkev Scribbler - Standard Member

This is correct; the manual even states that the battery will not achieve its maximum capacity until a few full charge/discharge cycles are completed (page vii).

15. heatlesssun

I've already drained the battery twice and will do it one more time before I test again.

16. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Perhaps it is still worthwhile you timing these particular discharges. We can then see whether the capacity does improve slightly whilst running it in?

17. Edwood

It would've been much better if the EP121 had a removable battery, and give people the choice of using a smaller, lighweight battery or an extended battery for those that don't mind the extra weight but would rather have the extra uninterrupted, unplugged power.

Or <shock> perhaps even carry a spare battery or two, so you can just pop in extra batteries for more unplugged usage time.

The key is having choice. I think too many PC manufacturer's are losing sight of what makes PC's a better choice for those that don't go and buy a Mac.

18. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wondering, anyone knows with such slate devices, what percentage of power consumption is used by the screen? 40%?

19. heatlesssun

While I do agree with the spirit of what you're saying I think there's simply the practical side matter. The EP121 is a VERY big and heavy device for a pure slate when compared to this generation of mobile OS slates. Even just a few ounces added to this device’s weight would be a HUGE negative. Then there’s the cost. Once again the EP121 is pushing the limits compared to mobile OS devices, in fact the EP121 blowing well past them in terms of cost. Another $100 just makes the device less attractive. Finally, and this is just a guess on my part are the thermal characteristics of the EP121. There’s a lot of space in this unit, it’s pretty obvious when you hold it and my guess is that that has a lot to do with the cooling design which is outstanding, there’s just very little heat and noise generated by this device given its power. A swappable I believe could possibly interfere with this design.

20. skim175

skim175 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received this unit via Amazon. Overall it looks pretty good. But I am little concerned with my battery life.
    I fully charged it right out of the box and then used it. I only got 2:30h.
    BT off. 20% brightness (i think that it is still bright). Constant usage of web surfing. what else can I do to squeeze more juice out of this? When people reported 3-4h, I thought I could stretch it 4h comfortably. I am not even sure whether I can reach for 3h now.