EP121 as useless as a brick

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by neololinc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. neololinc

neololinc T420s

Why? Because i cant load the OS or boot from USB/SD.

My problem is :

1. I changed boot order in the BIOS to load first from HDD (because everytime when USB was inserted, a boot was interrupted).

2. I installed a program to protect HDD (truecrypt).

3. When i start my ASUS SLATE EP121, it's loading from HDD, where security software asks for password (see the step 2.) (windows is not loaded yet).

4. I cant type anything as it's not detecting my keyboard, i tried several.

5. I cant access bios also, when starting i press (also tried to hold) f2, del, f1, esc, but it's not asking me for boot order, not entering BIOS, but still is going to load from HDD, where i am in stuck again, as my USB keyboards can not be detected.

5.5 I also tried to hold hardware buttons, click during system power-up - no result.

6. So for now, i cant change boot order, cant go to bios, cant type my secure passphrase to continue OS loading.

7. I tried several USB bootable flash cards, also tried to write a bootable USB FLASH with help of DVDs recovery. It's loading just fine on other computers/notebooks, but when i insert any bootable USB to ASUS Slate EP121, it's still loading from HDD, where security software is asking for password.

8. It's interesting - seems that when i had windows loaded, it's possible to make a reboot and get keyboard working before windows is loaded to enter password or access bios. But if you powered it off, and then switch on, keyboard will not work until windows initialize it. It's why i didnt detect this problem before.

9. I tried to remove SSDp (Sandisk SSD P4, msata, mini pcie) to make it load from USB... no luck. I dont know why it's not loading from USB, i am 90% sure that i just moved the SSD HDD to the first position of boot order.

[​IMG]

10. I didnt update BIOS with new firmware. Interesting that i saw a notice somewhere that with new bios firmware system will try to boot first from USB and then from SSD HDD. My BIOS is old. No luck here also. I cant update it.

11. There are only few notebooks with mSATA Mini PCIE support. This SSD will not work if you just insert it to any Mini PCIE slot.

I doubt there is any available mSATA Mini PCIE reader on the market.
    Again no luck.

12. Hands down. A new ticket was submitted to ASUS, i am awaiting for their reaction.

2. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. Filing this under "don't even try it" thanks for the heads up. Good luck getting back to a working machine.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have read somewhere that you can enter the bios without a keyboard but pressing one of the keys. But I do not remember which one.

4. neololinc

neololinc T420s

I tried to hold or click all available hardware buttons and combinations.

5. ediblefetus

ediblefetus Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you try holding down ESC on a usb keyboard while there was a bootable USB in the USB port?
    My theory is if there is only 1 boot device available, the boot screen wont show, because there is no option to choose.
    This is only a theory, i havent received mine yet.

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

read the user guide, i think it was here i read this info

7. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

So you were somehow able to enter into the BIOS here:
    But now using the same keyboard sequence you are no longer able to enter into BIOS ?
    Then I'd say you're screwed. On any other PC (desktop or notebook/convertible) you should always be able to enter into the BIOS regardless of boot order.

I don't own the EP121 but am just curious: How did you actually enter into the BIOS? The EP121's User Manual makes no mention of the BIOS. And is your keyboard wired, BT or RF? If it's the included BT then it's possible it won't work before Windows boots up. I've also seen one mobo's BIOS not working with RF USB dongle (very rare). But a wired USB keyboard should always work.

Good luck.

8. neololinc

neololinc T420s

When windows is loaded, the keyboard is starting to work until you power off the device. You still can reboot (soft) and get it working to access BIOS and enter password... until you power it off.

Now i cant load windows, so i cant activate the keyboard.

My keyboards are wired.

9. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you perchance use the disable legacy usb option in the bios?

This would disable the bios boot, and unfortunately, also disable the ability for you to access the bios (sounds very much like the situation you are in, as obviously your keyboard must have worked well enough to get into the bios in the first place).
    If there is a removable CMOS battery, that might be your best bet now.

10. neololinc

neololinc T420s

Sure, i tried this trick with one or more bootable USB devices.

No, i didnt disabled it. It's dangerous. :)

Already tried. 40 minutes of pure blackout. Both li-ion battery and cmos battery were disconnected for 40 minutes.

Any other ideas?