Envy X2 + MS Wedge BT Mouse / Other BT Mouse Issues

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by xyz, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xyz

xyz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

Is anyone using a BT mouse with their Envy X2?

Recently I bought the MS Wedge Mouse and it's having some interference issues with the Broadcom wireless card. I did some research on the web and it seems to be a common issue, not only with HP, for BT devices to work at the same time with a wireless network connection, since both use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Some suggested that disabling "Bluetooth Collaboration" in the advanced settings of the network adapter should fix the problem. I tried doing that on my Envy X2, but it didn't fully solved the issues, the mouse would move very smoothly only for every 5-10 minutes, and then hiccups/lags would occur again.

All my drivers, Windows, and software are up-to-date.

I haven't tried other BT mouses yet, but I read a lot people are also having issues with their MacBook Air when using the Magic Mouse or a Logitech BT mosue.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. xyz

xyz Pen Pal - Newbie

About the "Bluetooth Collaboration" setting in the network adapter's properties, I'm experiencing different results with different routers/networks. When I'm connected to certain routers/networks, the mouse works better with the setting disabled, while with some other routers/networks it actually works better with the setting enabled. So in the end it depends on the router's settings and the channel it's using. Anyway, neither works perfectly, just one is more usable than the other.

I really hope there is a fix for this, I definitely prefer a BT mouse over a RF one because I don't have to waste a USB port for a receiver.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Bluetooth mouse that I use with my Envy x2, "iBUFFALO Bluetooth NFC Mouse". I'm not using it every day, and sometimes I have to pair it again, but otherwise I haven't noticed any issues. Anything I should be looking for, or test?

I should be using the latest drivers at the moment, but haven't changed any settings for Bluetooth.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I use the MS Wedge Mouse with my Envy x2. Before that I used with my HP Pavillion g series laptop. I have the same issues on both machines. It is especially annoying when you move the cursor towards something you need to lick and then it jumps away two or three lines and you end up clicking something entirely different. I can't say for certain, but it seems to m that this is more common in the Metro interface than desktop mode. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive when I'm using a Metro app.

5. xyz

xyz Pen Pal - Newbie

With the Wedge Mouse, I'm having the same issue that Kumabjorn is having, the movement just isn't smooth and jumps all over the place. It's pretty much unusable I'd say. I guess you're pretty lucky with the Buffalo BT mouse, I will see if my local shops have any. I believe there is a conflict with certain BT chips, and MS is using one of them unfortunately.

IIRC for me it was the same in either Metro or Desktop mode. As much as I like the Wedge and BT, I ended up returning it and exchanged for the Arc Touch.

The Arc Touch seems to be more comfortable than the Wedge, my only complain is having a RF receiver occupying a USB port, and the fact that HP made the USB ports on the Envy X2 shorter than normal notebooks (probably due to space availability), so the receiver ended up having part of the USB connector sticking out and it doesn't look very nice.

Word of advice though, I find that leaving the receiver plugged in will drain the battery faster when the computer is in sleep mode. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'm during more tests to confirm this.

6. Kumabjorn

The USB ports are powered by default. I never get RF mice because I feel that since I already have BT in the device it should work since it is a standard. Lke you I don't like to occupy a USB port with something that seems frilly. Having said that I got much better performance after updating through the MS Mouse & Keyboard Center. Little late in your case, but something to remember for future endeavors.

7. Kumabjorn

Here is another little oddity I just discovered. I tried using a Wacom stylus (from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1) on my Envy x2, this seems to cut of communication between both track pad and BT mouse, I lost the cursor, but not the clicks. Only way to regain it was a reboot.

8. xyz

xyz Pen Pal - Newbie

In the BIOS I had USB charging disabled, but it seems like the receiver is still consuming power during sleep. I believe disabling USB charging in BIOS doesn't completely turn off the USB ports, because while the X2 is in sleep mode with the lid closed, when I tried to unplug or plug the receiver, it made a notification sound from Windows.

Before I returned the Wedge, I also went through the update with the MS Mouse & Keyboard Center. Are you connected to mainly one or two Wi-Fi networks? From my experience, the Wedge mouse acts differently depending on the network/router that I'm connected to. The Wi-Fi network in my office seems to be okay, but when I'm connected to my portable 3G router, the mouse started acting up again. If it works on some networks/routers and not on others, then it's too unstable for me since I might be connected to many different Wi-Fi networks, that's the main reason I returned the Wedge.

9. Kumabjorn

So far, I've only had it for three days, I've only been connected to my Huawei MiFi.
    The thing is the stylus is active (Samsung) but not compatible with the digitizer in the Envy. So I believe they are trying to establish a connection but that obviously won't work, but in order to establish that connection it first has to disable other input methods for the screen. But since a connection isn't established it won't re-establish the other input devices. Mind you, that is only conjecture on my part, but I feel it has a certain logic to it.

10. xyz

xyz Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I fixed the transceiver connector part that's sticking out with some carbon skin. :p

WP_20130603_003 (Copy).jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.