Envy Note 8 - Windows 10 upgrade fails

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sitongia, Dec 20, 2015.

1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows Update notified me that an upgrade to Windows 10, version 1511, 10586 is available. It tried to install it, and told me there isn't enough space. I plugged in an external HD, and it downloaded the upgrade (took hours) and started performing the update. It went through one reboot. On the second reboot (I think), it hung. Black screen with backlight on. I let it sit like that for a couple hours. Then I power-cycled it. When it booted it said that it's reverting to a previous release. So, the upgrade failed.

I'm running it again.

2. sitongia

Upgrade failed a second time. I'm guessing that it is related to disk space. I installed 2GB of software and have 2.37GB free. I thought Windows 10 is supposed to use a lot let disk space. I learned how to get the WindowsUpdate.log and it doesn't show any apparent errors.

Has anyone succeeded in installing this upgrade?

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You need at least 5 GB of free space.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. sitongia

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the external disk option that it provides, to get more space. Before I was using a USB disk through my Plugable docking station, but now I'm trying again using an SD card plugged into the tablet.

5. sitongia

Here's more detail about what it's doing, from watching this third try.

It downloads and then reboots. Brings up "Updating Windows" screen, with the percentage in the center. At the bottom are three status labels:

Copying files % Installing features and drivers Configuring settings

I recall from previous attempts that it was in "Installing features and drivers", or maybe it had finished that, then rebooted, and never came back.

6. Kumabjorn

Those 5 GB has to be in the C: drive

But after the attempts it stops upgrading OTA, you'll now need to download the ISO file from Microsoft's servers

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. sitongia

I must have had about that much free space when I started the upgrade, but it partially filled the disk and then barfed.

Anyway, I stopped using the external USB disk on the Plugable docking station, instead using an SD card plugged into the tablet. During the installation I was able to point to that SD card when asked (because it said there wasn't enough space available). The upgrade succeeded.

My guess is that during the upgrade, the driver for the Plugable becomes unavailable, creating a Catch-22, and hosing the upgrade.

p.s.
    After the upgrade, I guess it cleaned up, and there is now 8.2GB free.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Excellent, glad it worked. After three failed attempts it stopped trying for me. That is how I learned the hard way. Wish the installation would tell me from the beginning. I can always backup and then reinstall.