Engineering Student

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by thanhmy, Oct 7, 2017.

1. thanhmy

thanhmy Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    400-800
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No preference
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Tablet/Notebook convertable
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Ireland
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No apple, Ive heard great things about lenovo and would love to try it out
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    1)Note taking 2) Websurfing 3)Entertainment
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows RT, Android or Windows 8
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Anything that can let me take notes on a PDF with a stylus of some sort that will allow me to place me hand on the screen without confusion
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    None that would need any major processing power
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Not a priority
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    No
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    No
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    The best for note taking
    Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Nothing too large, USB and SD ports would be nice
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    HDMI would be nice but not a priority
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    The Samsung Galaxy Note is the main one that im looking at but I have very limited knowledge

Thanks!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I got a Yoga 720 for my daughter, who started as a Freshman in Engineering School last fall. She loves it. The price is a bit over your budget, but I waited for a sale on top of the $100 student discount BestBuy had for the device. With the Bamboo Smart Stylus, it really helps to be able to take Calculus notes in One Note, so nothing gets lost. She uses it in her Matlab course as well, with no problems.

Or are you just looking for a note taker in class and leave the more demanding tasks to a larger notebook. In that case, you could probably get away with a refurbished Surface 3, which is Atom powered but will provide all-day power.