Engadget Article on Apple's Pencil...

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The iPad Pro isn't scheduled to be available until November.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They don't put demo samples in the stores before that for those who want to pre-order?

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think they did for the watch, and the original iPad, but many of the other stuff, like new iPad and iPhone updates show up the day of its release.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hm.

They seem like fairly harmless jokes, but popularity among the herd *is* the driving life-force behind Apple. I've never seen it turn on them before.

"Popularity" on a certain level is very deeply built into the psyche. Very lower-brained stuff. It likes strong (usually psychopathic) leadership; Never being wrong or looking indecisive. Doing something like asking for Microsoft's help (with the Office suite) or admitting they were wrong about "You don't need a stylus".., that means being weak, and the pack will turn on you.

You can easily manipulate by appealing to lower-brained functions; we're all susceptible and Apple made billions on it. But a stampede can wreck your prospects unless you quickly exert control. Steve Jobs understood this and played the population really well. Now that he's gone.., well I didn't see anybody on stage at the Siri event who knew a tenth of what he had figured out.

Normally I'd be cackling with glee. I can't stand manipulators. But a popularity meltdown has the power to set back stylus tech five years. It might sound ridiculous to most of the folks on this board, (who tend to prize function very highly), but even if the Apple Pencil performs perfectly, if all the pretty kids are laughing at it, it's as good as dead -With splash-over effect on every other manufacturer.

Let's cross our fingers and hope the flocks don't get restless...

Starlight5 and dellaster like this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're forgetting the initial Apple Tablet, the Newton MessagePad and ``Beat up Martha''.

7. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ugh.

Well.., hopefully enough Apple-using illustration professionals and artists, (trend setters) will pitch their enthusiasm behind this to prevent us all from having to wait another half decade for somebody to make a decent $&*# tablet.

It's interesting...

With Steve Jobs gone, Apple appears to be losing sight of their core business model, (making over-simple computers to *believe* in, fill people's minds with sappy distractions, and go nicely with one's chic hipster wardrobe), and are making that most unappealing of decisions; asking what features the industry wants/needs and trying to fulfill that with engineering solutions. How silly.

Next thing you know, they'll make iPads running Mac OS and be adding extra buttons to things, and it'll be game over.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Starlight5 likes this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thing is, Apple’s Macintosh philosophy was to make “bicycles for the mind” which would allow the use of computers for design and creation (and efficient workflows as an afterthought).

We're really falling down on this in terms of applications and usage --- most systems just get used as glorified memory typewriters and photocopiers which happen to have distributed storage.

NeXT was all about the creation of the next-generation workstation which would allow efficient usage of the then nascent high-resolution displays and printers.

I really see the iPad as a return to these ideas, and an extension of Apple's initial bundling of the mouse, forcing a particular and more expressive form of input and having limitations on it so as to disallow older interactions (the first Macintosh keyboards did _not_ have cursor keys).

Looking forward to the Apple Pencil being available on different sizes of iPads, the iPhone, iPod Touch and eventually a slate or convertible running Mac OS X.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

From what I heard around it seems I'm the only one who's thinking to sell the SP3 to get an iPad pro...