Engadget Article on Apple's Pencil...

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

yes but none of them have even used it...

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a very good article. Unfortunately, the comments regarding the Surface Pro 3's N-Trig pen are misinformed. As we all know, lag is not the issue (except in those early cases where Photoshop specifically wasn't well tuned to the pen drivers). The comments fail to mention jitter and narrow hover distance which, for all we know, could plague the iPad Pro's active Pencil as well.

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interestingly, since it’s on an iPad, hover distance shouldn’t be as much of an issue — there’s no active cursor — the question is, how effective the device is at managing touch and pen input and not implementing palm rejection.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think one of the things Apple can be counted on getting right is near-flawless human/machine operations and feedback.

I'd be very surprised if the Apple Pencil didn't feel incredibly responsive, draws perfect lines and generally makes a whole lot of the other attempts from the PC world look like a bunch of Zunes.

The things which make Apple strong, (Apple products are perfect so long as you only use them the way Apple wants you to use them), makes them maddening and essentially broken for people who entertain even an ounce of non-vanilla user expectation with regard to hardware, software and media control.

The thing about a stylus is that it's pretty simple. There isn't really a whole lot of "under the hood" for a user to truly need to get at. Which is to say, unless they stumble horribly from their incredible track record of high-quality interface design, I doubt Apple and I would be in any disagreement about how a stylus should work.

We'd probably quibble (bitterly) over the lack of a cursor, but will it draw a clean line without hiccups, lags and other nonsense? Will it be able to keep up with high-speed quick strokes? Will it perform perfectly with slow straight edges?

Of course it will.

In fact, I wonder if part of the reason they've taken so long to bring one to market is that they've had an engineering team hidden away working on stylus tech under strict NDA lockdown since Wacom's patents expired. The technology is notoriously hard to pin down, being in many ways equal parts science and voodoo. Apple tends not to do its thinking out loud and only reveals a product when the engineers are happy.

That being said...

Unless it runs Windows (7), it's basically useless to me, because A) I need Photoshop and B) I'm not Vanilla.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Photoshop runs quite comfortably on Mac OS X — why
    isn’t that an option?

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the Reality Distortion Field at work. As we all know, a company with no prior experience in digital pens will make their first effort no less than PERFECT.

I'm not saying it can't be good, but let us not forget "you're holding it wrong" and the mouse that wouldn't right-click if you didn't lift your fingers off the mouse. Even the Mighty Mouse's successor, the Magic Mouse, is plagued with issues. Let's not pretend Apple can't fudge up human interfaces.

I guarantee issues with unresponsive strokes and errant strokes. And what about the ridiculous way it charges? That's a snapped connector waiting to happen.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because the iPad Pro runs iOS, not OSX.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I think he was saying, as I did initially, that it should have been an iMac Tablet with OS X, not an iPad with iOS. A big screen deserves a full blown OS.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

bloodycape likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We'll see. I'm betting it'll be at least as solid as Wacom's AES. Every time I've interacted with an Apple product (a physical one), I've been very impressed with the tactile interface experience. And that's not marketing; that's pure me with the machine in my hands.

The connector does look like a weak point, though. They'd be smart to ship it with a wire.

I'm also saying, after having worked for a couple of months during an Apple-only project, that for dozens of reasons, Mac OS made me want to throw computers and punch things. You can't even get it to display all files in a straight alphabetic list without third-party software. It's not so much a walled garden, as a walled labyrinth with not enough useful pathways and assorted dead ends which suddenly appear with the regular update cycle.