End of an era: Goodbye to MS Journal...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, I know it's not really gone, but soon it will be no longer part of out of box Windows experience. That means no more falling back on Journal to test pressure response of a pen on a new system at Best Buy or Microsoft store.

But for me, Journal was far more than a pen test convenience at a retailer. I LOVED sketching with Journal, especially with EMR UD Tablet PCs. I actually preferred sketching with Journal over things like Painter and Sketchbook Pro before I started using Clip Studio Paint. Why was it so enticing for me? Well I really liked the fact that it was a vector app that I could sketch with. It affords you different drawing mindset than raster based apps. So even though the app was never meant to be an artist tool, I developed techniques to use it for my professional purposes as a toy designer.

So in tribute to Journal, I am posting some of my drawings I've done for work and for myself. All of the following pieces have lineworks that were entirely done in Journal (with the original JNT files in my archives). Enjoy and pour a little malt liquor of your choice in honor...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft never really developed Journal which was a shame ~ if your file reached 2mb in size you ran the risk of brain or cpu freeze which my older computers always did. I too love using it as a sketching tool - I have discovered that drawing in OneNote is more reliable and I can go to bigger file sizes without putting the same strain on the computer.
    Same with Microsoft word - you can draw into a blank file in MS word so although Journal may be changing or going - you can get used to OneNote AND OneNote allows sharing so you can share drawings with a client too as OneNote has that share button built in.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

siddhartth and Marty like this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's just me or others too think that layers are not only important in art but in note taking software too. Layers can really help in making your hurried notes fairer and legible on a later date. Or you can upload scanned images of your class notes and write on it digitally and then delete the images underneath. Many users who used Note tablets by Samsung, preferred buying Lecturenotes app instead of using the bundled Snote app which was an excellent app too. Lecturenotes had layers, and Snote didn't.

It's a nice obituary to a computer programme. @Shogmaster

5. Shogmaster

Layered note taking app? Color me intrigued...

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I think that the simplicity of Journal appealed to me as much as anything else. Although I now use other note-taking apps, Journal was the "old standby..."

I've reloaded the updated version, but it's clear that Journal is now on borrowed time; I'll be sorry to see it go when that time finally runs out...

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In OneNote, one way to do "grouping" is to select the group, cut, and then paste as a picture (under the paste options).

You lose the vector data of the sketch layer, but since you delete this anyways, I think it could work for your purposes.

As a side note, with multiple picture "layers" you have the option to set the z-order in OneNote (under Draw > Edit > Arrange) to emulate the layer stack in drawing apps.

Shogmaster likes this.
  8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Marty likes this.
  9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Goodbye Journal - Hello Microsoft Ink.

If you have Windows 10, the latest update includes a new App called Microsoft Ink - it includes a ruler just like the paid for version of Sketchbook pro does. There is no select tool and the only save function is to .png file. The Control + A command does not select anything.

Definitely a retrograde step as I use the vector data to export sketches to illustrator where I can then build up the basis for bigger illustration files.

Luckily there is a journal download available for 32 bit computers.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53002

X64 supported version of Journal available here -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53003

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    WillAdams and digital doctor like this.
  10. digital doctor

digital doctor Pen Pal - Newbie

Heh. I came to post the Journal links.

But I see they are already here. Thanks @doobiedoobiedum

[excited]

Yep.
    [/excited]

The nag messages that come standard in the downloadable full Windows Journal are annoying.

Sometimes I just want to view the files on certain PCs.

This is the old 1.5 Journal Viewer.
    32bit.
    Installed fine on this windows 8 pc.

https://microsoft-windows-journal-viewer.en.softonic.com/

I have a copy from that same site if anyone needs a copy.

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.