Enabling UEFI native boot? (TM2-10xx)

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by TheManii, Jun 1, 2012.

1. TheManii

TheManii Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a TM2-1000cto, and I've been looking for (but failing) how to make the TM2-10xx boot GPT/UEFI drives. (Specifically Win8RP)

The biggest reason to boot into UEFI mode instead of BIOS mode is that for Win8 users they can take advantage of the much more user friendly Win8 UEFI bootloader.

What I know:
    • The TM2 is clearly UEFI based
      • It uses a InsydeH20 UEFI 'bios'
      • It only (seems) to run in CSM mode
      • HP UEFI 'bios's must explicitly allow booting of unsigned EFI binaries, otherwise they must be signed (by HP?) to run, the toggle isnt available on the TM2-10xx
    • It can directly run some UEFI binaries
      • It's hardcoded(?) to only load <HP_TOOLS>\Hewlett-Packard\SystemDiags\SystemDiags.efi
      • It definitely supports GPT drives (at least for loading SystemDiags)

Someone had previously attempted to unlock UEFI booting on it, but failed: [Unlocked] hp touchsmart tm2-1000cto unlock advanced menu

The bootloader itself doesnt seem to be signed, so you could potentially modify the current UEFI 'bios' to reenable it, as InsydeH20 apparently supports all this (but is disabled on our devices). But the attemptor in the previous link didnt actually have a TM2 and was working blind.

I wonder if it's possible to boot a properly set up GPT drive that had an OS installed from a different device/an OS that can install a UEFI mode install even while in CSM/BIOS mode.

2. A30N

A30N Technologist

Yeah, I wasted a few days on this...the guy who was doing bios mods on that site dropped off the radar many months ago, and I don't know anyone else who could safety hack the TM2's bios, unless you want to write futile letters to HP and Insyde...