Enable tm2t GPS?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by hoongss, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerdcissus

nerdcissus Pen Pal - Newbie

If you have managed to get the NMEA port listed in the device manager, using the "Dev1=GPS=1" trick, but have no luck getting a GPS lock, I might have a solution for you.

In order to aquire and track satellites, the GPS must also be in an enabled state, and a tracking session must be started.

I came across a program written by CygnusLPA on the notebookreview forum, enabling the Gobi 2000 GPS on the Sony Vaio VGN Z. When I tried the program on my tm2, it didn't work.

Since CygnusLPA generously provided the c source code, I translated the code to C#, and started experimenting to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I think it was that the tm2 uses 64-bits Windows 7, while the QCWWAN2k.dll that comes with HP Connection Manager is a 32-bit dll.

Hopefully, I have managed to attach two zip files to this message. One containing the executable, the other containing the source code. Feel free to make modifications. It would for instance be cool to be able to switch the GPS on and off from the tm2 control application :)

My Gobi2000GPS.exe file must be run from the same directory as a working 32-bit QCWWAN2k.dll. HP typically installs this in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Connection Manager". Gobi2000GPS.exe is in itself a 32-bit application, and uses the commonly available .Net Framework 3.5 runtime.

If you would like to observe what happens while you are waiting for a GPS lock, you could use for instance the freely available Visual GPS (http://www.visualgps.net/visualgps/Download/Download.html). Connect using the correct NMEA serial port number, and it will show you the NMEA datastream, signal strengths and such.

I can not guarantee that my Gobi2000GPS.exe will work on your machine, and I am no expert on the inner workings of GPS devices, but this program works on my tm2 :)

Good luck to you all...

Attached Files:

2. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

Im one of those that have nmea port but cant lock on sats.

in sp48430 the multiinstaller.ini is originally
    [GPS-Disable]
    Dev1=GPS=0

and have to change that to Dev1=GPS=1 for the nmea port to be available. Tried many times, and seems that it only get created with this.

in device manager flow is set to hardware on nmea and diagnostics.

i tried visualgps and set it to the nmea port, and i see scrolling numbers in the command window and signal quality window (no bars just numbers)

$GPGSA,A
    $GPGSV,
    $GPGSV,
    $GPGGA,,,,
    $PQXFI,,,,
    $GPVTG,,

i tried your Gobi2000GPS.exe and on/off works as visualgps stop scrolling numbers if its off.

I have a sim installed since i use it for 3g data.

3. nerdcissus

Sounds like you have very low signal reception. Could be because of the antenna, or maybe you are inside?

My tm2 often takes a long time to get a lock, even when I take it outdoors. In visualgps I typically see 2-4 numbered bars with signal strengths in the 35-40 db range, which is quite low, making it difficult to successfully download ephemeris data from a satellite. I'm using third party antennas, since my tm2 didn't come with one built in.

4. jonpet

ok, i have -76dBm, my mobile network reports full bars. So maybe need better conection?

5. nerdcissus

GPS signal strength, not mobile network signal strength. Different frequency band, and the signals originate from satellites instead of cell towers;) The GPS is running in passive mode, and data connection probably doesn't matter.

It's overcast in Oslo today, and I was unable to get a lock from the roof of our office building, even though visualgps continuously reported from 2 to 7 satellites, with strength varying between 28 and 38. The reception is really bad. My phone was able to get a lock in less than a minute. Maybe if we could enable AGPS or XTRA on this thing...

6. tablehead

tablehead Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thoroughly fed up with this garbage. This is something like the 4th time I've gone through the effort of trying to get this working. I paid more for the stupid GPS module exactly so that I would actually be able to use it. Instead HP can't even support their own products and give half-ways decent drivers and people have to luck it out with convoluted procedures trying to get it working.

I'm not novice to computers. Tried both ways =1/=0 and no difference. Tried different drivers. Tried deleting stuff from the registry. Tried reinstalling Windows 7. I give up and HP can go to hell. They are never getting my money again.

7. jonpet

i also had not much luck getting locked on sats. But i have taken one of the wireless antenans and routed to the gps module, and have installed one internal antenna on the other gps connection.

anyways, with visualgps mentioned by nerdcissus in this thread, i can see activity in command monitor and signal quality window.

8. hoongss

hoongss Pen Pal - Newbie

i am more than gladly to help u to fix it via vpn.

9. tembares

tembares Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

Great that you all have GPS working.
    My question is what TM2 you have.
    I have a TM2t 2100 CSO for 2 weeks now and would like to know if you all have the same PC.
    If so, did you manually install the Gobi card or is it already inside.

Thank yo in advance

10. A30N

A30N Technologist

Old thread, I know, but I just wanted to mention that the GPS is working perfectly in Windows 8 Developer Preview 64-bit. No driver hacking required!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.