Enable tm2t GPS?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by hoongss, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtd10

rtd10 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone in Canada bought the 3g unit and gotten the gps to work? We don't have as many (and none on that list) mobile providers, but it would be handy if our tablets could use the gps function as well.

2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone managed to make the GPS works with Google Earth?

I lost GE GPS function (i.e GE won't find my GPS device) since I upgraded to Windows 7, under Windows XP, however GE detects the same GPS device just fine.
    Since HP TM2 is pre-installed with 7 so...

3. AndyA

AndyA Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I spotted a link to this thread over on myhpmini and it looks very interesting.
    http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2620

I have a Compaq Mini 311 with a un2420 card installed, I'm very interested in getting the GPS to work but not sure if the UK version has the GPS function?

Can anyone tell from this photo?

[​IMG]

4. eternal

eternal Scribbler - Standard Member

does anyone know how fast the satellite pickup of this chip is compared to the sirf III?

5. A30N

A30N Technologist

I DID IT!!!!

I have a fully functional GPS WITHOUT having to use a SIM card!

I am on the bus heading home, so I will work on a mini-tutorial this evening.

For all of you with GPS woes, they are about to go bye-bye!!!

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please post ASAP? If you have a quick moment, did you have to do a fresh install or did you work with a factory install?

7. A30N

A30N Technologist

Ask, and you shall receive, brother!

I did a quick & clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 from a high-speed flash drive to my much-higher-speed 64gb SSD! I did the whole thing on my lunch break at work!

I mostly used the latest drivers off of HP's site, except for the drop sensor which I got from one of the recovery partitions that came with the original HDD (seriously, HP, why FOUR partitions?!)

Here are the steps I took. Report back your success (or failure, which I really hope doesn't happen!)

Step 0: Uninstall all Gobi 2000 and WWAN-related drivers, making sure that you delete them completely (or perform a clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit)

Step 1: Go to Hp's website and download the latest 64-bit driver for the Gobi 2000 WWAN module. (SP48430.exe)

Step 2: Using WinRAR or 7-Zip, extract the driver to a new folder.

Step 3: Navigate to that folder, and open MultiInstaller.ini with notepad or your favorite text editor.

Step 4: Go to line 26, and change "Dev1=GPS=1" to "Dev1=GPS=0" (without quotes of course). Save it!

Step 5: In the same folder as MultiInstaller.ini, double-click on Launcher.exe. When it's done, its recommended to restart the computer.

Step 6: Open Device Manager, and verify that under Ports you have both the un2420 Diagnostics and NMEA drivers visible (each will be assigned a seperate port)

Step 7: Open the Properties sheet for the NMEA driver, and select the Port Settings tab. Set the Bits per second to 9600 and the Flow control to Hardware.

Step 8: Restart your computer. Using the HP Wireless Assistant, enable the WWAN. Now launch your favorite GPS program and you should get a fix in less than 30 seconds!

Oh, I almost forgot. Disabling the WWAN in the HP Wireless Assistant disables the GPS too, which makes sense as they are located on the same physical device. If you put your computer into sleep or hibernate, and the GPS is slow to initialize, close your GPS program, disable the WWAN, and then re-enable it, and re-launch your GPS program.

8. BlindWolf8

BlindWolf8 Comparer of tm2s

Hey A30N,
    I appreciate your investigation skills. If I wasn't so busy looking for a job I would be hacking away at this thing with you.

Some notes and statuses:

Step 0 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY: Uninstalled Gobi driver from the Control Panel. Did not uninstall HP Connection Manager software. Restarted computer afterward.

Step 1 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY: SP48430.exe is the filename of the latest (as of May 25th 2010) Gobi 2000 drivers on the HP tm2 page. No need to use the Mini 311 drivers.

Step 2 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY: PeaZip can also extract the exe file contents.

Step 3 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Step 4 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY: Line 26 was already correct for me.

Step 5 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Step 6 FAILED: NMEA not found.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. A30N

A30N Technologist

I was afraid of this. You're gonna have to do a clean install for it to work, or go through 17,000 registry entries and find the culprit.

If you have a really good registry cleaner, or better yet, a specialized driver removal program, you can deep clean all the leftover bits and pieces of the Gobi 2000 driver.

I will continue to explore the vast code of this very complex driver. If I can get to the root of evil, then I can rip out its guts once and for all; perhaps even tweak the driver for easier self-installation and/or a performance boost (such as faster lock-on, more frequent update, automatic output to a log file).

But I'll need some help...so sometime this week when I get a break, I'll rouse the rabble over on IRC >;>

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks A30N, I was worried that the factory install situation was the problem. I may have to play with this more when I pick up the refreshed tm2 and feel like blowing up my current tm2, just can't have it go down on me for this. Gee I wish HP made this easier, need to add that to the wish list, the ability to do CLEAN installs and install ALL components with an installer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.