Enable tm2t GPS?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by hoongss, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoongss

hoongss Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any way to enable GPS in tm2t equipped with the gobi 2000 card.
    As I aware of Gobi 2000 have built in GPS. And the particular chip tm2t using the HP un2420 have GPS as well because it is used in other HP laptop with GPS enabled from factory.
    Please help.
    Thanks

2. A30N

A30N Technologist

If you did a clean installation of Windows 7, then go to HP's driver website and download the Gobi 2000 driver from there (latest version is 1.1.84.0). Another user in this forum is using Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010, and had to manually configure the GPS to port 5.

I'll have my TM2 in two weeks, so if you haven't figured it out by then, then I can walk you through it once I have the machine in my hands.

3. impreZzA

impreZzA Scribbler - Standard Member

is this gobi card built in by default?

if not is it a pci card?

4. mengela

mengela Pen Pal - Newbie

what he said and what is a gobi2000

5. dantedrac

dantedrac Pen Pal - Newbie

gobi2000 is the default WWAN card that HP uses when you order the model with the 3G enabled. It lets you pick from Verizon/Sprint or ATT for 3G service. The gobi2000 card also has "Standalone GPS, AGPS, gpsOneXTRA" built into it as well.

It is an addon option you can pay for and it is not really possible to add after the fact. While it is a mini pci card if you didn't order it with it you will lack the wiring to use the card.

http://www.qualcomm.com/common/documents/analyst/Gobi_2000_ProductSheet.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. impreZzA

impreZzA Scribbler - Standard Member

@dante

thank u for ur enlightenment :)

No WWAN option here in europe :eek:

7. hoongss

hoongss Pen Pal - Newbie

I did that. Clean install win7 ultimate, install ms streets and trips 2010. Manually configure to port 5, still no luck.
    I even try other available ports as well.
    Please help!!!

8. dantedrac

Check device manager under Ports (COM & LPT).......You should see "HP un2420 Mobile Broadband Module NMEA (COM5)".
    It can be a different COM port that part does not matter, but you MUST see that you have a NMEA port.
    If you do not then your driver is not loader properly and or you did not use the right driver.

My driver date is listed as 09/11/2009 when you look at the properties of the un2420.

EDIT: Ok here is the deal, after extensive testing it looks like you need to activate a service plan on the 3G at least ONCE in order for the GPS to work for what ever reason. On a fresh install of windows7 I was unable to get ANY gps signal using MS 2010, while I could see the GPS was there it would never acquire any sats. Upon putting my iPhone SIM card in and setting it properly I was able to pick up sats in under a min. Now even with NO SIM card or any 3G service to the Gobi card I am still able to use the GPS after many reboots.

Hope it helps you out. Time to find a friend with an AT&T data plan I guess, heh.

9. hoongss

hoongss Pen Pal - Newbie

So do you mean I need to activate a new service plan in order for me to get the GPS to work?
    I tried with my current service with ATT (with iphone) still no GPS. I get 3G connection, but no GPS.
    I just need to verify that I indeed need to activate a new service plan before I sign up for one.
    Do not want to waste a month worth of service for nothing.
    Thank you

10. dantedrac

No don't do that, I just threw my iPhone SIM card in the laptop and did the APN hack I mentioned earlier and the GPS worked just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.