EMR convertible for under $1500

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hydraulic Potato, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I currently use a Wacom Bamboo to sketch. I'm also in need of a new laptop, so I thought of getting a convertible with a stylus. I tried out Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd gen, but had to return two units due to issues. Not to mention, AES doesn't seem to be nearly as good as EMR on a $80 drawing tablet.

I tried looking for decent EMR options, but can't really find any. So I hereby invoke the power of the masses to help me. Thanks for any suggestions!

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

$1200-1500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes, if <$1000, or with good warranty

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Would prefer a foldable convertible, but can also do with a detatchable

4. What size?

13-14 inches (I think below 13 would be too small for coding)

5. Which country?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

>=6 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?

Programming, sketching

9. Do you have an OS preference?

Windows, and also should be able to run Linux without major issues

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?

I would like a 4-core 15W i5, i7 or Ryzen.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1080p or higher. 4K would be overkill, but will buy unless battery suffers too much.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Strongly prefer EMR

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

16GB memory (or less if expandable), ~500GB SSD

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

USB-A and HDMI would be good to have, but can do with just USB-C ports

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

you're basically looking @ the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro/Pen.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15"

Either your wants and needs are magically in line with the one machine available, or you're doing the double-speak thing where you need expert approval to show to your financial advisor before funds will be released.

I hope it's the first one, (who doesn't like magic?) and that I haven't screwed up the second.

Har har!

4. Hydraulic Potato

I should have mentioned that I looked at Notebook 9 Pro and Galaxy Book 12. The issue is the old dual-core CPUs, which won't cut it for compiling large programs, etc. Is there any news of a refresh? Also, N9 Pro 15 is a bit too big, and GB is a bit too small. N9 Pro 13 is the right size, but only has 8GB RAM (Why?).

Notebook 9 Pen looks good, except it also only comes with 8GB memory (Why Samsung?).

BTW, @thatcomicsguy, I wish there were funds waiting to be "released" from somewhere. Right now they're coming from my own bank account. :p

5. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well your other option would be the Acer Switch 7 Black Edition for $1700. If you are willing to pay more. I'd rather do a N9P with a 1TB drive but I'm biased. Maybe they'll make another refresh with a slightly faster processor and hopefully USB 3.1 in the next few months.

Makes me wonder why you'd need the extra oomph for compiling though.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  6. Hydraulic Potato

Thanks. It's strange, I can't find many reviews of or even stores that carry Switch 7 BE. I think my best bet is to hope Samsung will refresh their line. I can wait another couple months. Will also keep an eye out for discounts on the Switch.
    As for the extra oomph, I also need to run some computations locally from time to time. Compared to my desktop CPU, my current dual-core laptop is pretty slow on those tasks.

7. Hydraulic Potato

:( You guys are awful :D

8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I'm gonna be that guy and say that if your primary use case is programming and secondary use case is sketching, you're better off with a powerful CPU and MPP/AES than a dual-core CPU and EMR.

9. Hydraulic Potato

I agree, and I'd make that choice too, if I had to choose now. In fact I did buy X1 Yoga 3, which I had to return twice due to other issues.

If only Samsung would make a 16GB N9 Pen or 4-core N9 Pro. We're so close...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.