Ematic EGM003BL - Android 4.4.2 Tablet

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by mondotone, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mondotone

mondotone Pen Pal - Newbie

Ematic EGM003BL
    Android 4.4.2 KitKat
    Specs. 7" touch screen
    1.3Ghz dual-core
    512mb ram
    Wi-fi 802.11a/b/g/n
    Front&Rear Camera
    MicroSD card slot up to 32g
    Micro usb connector for data only
    2.5mm 5v 1.5amp for power

Just picked it up for around $45 at Fry's electronics. I wanted a low end tablet for viewing large pdf files and web browsing via home wifi and hotspot via my cell phone. the small 4.5" screen on my cell phone doesn't work when you need to read large books. I have workstations and a laptops, I just needed something between the laptop and my cell phone. 1st off I don't know why there aren't very many Android 4.4 tablets out there. I was willing to spend up to $100 for it. It works very well except that any programs is installed via Amazon instead of Google Play, and no you can't add Google Play to it. You can side load programs but if there's any programs that need active connection to Google Play then it wont work. Other than that the tablet is a great deal.
    Charging the tablet is the only issue. I can't seem to charge the tablet via micro usb. My adapters only go up to 1.2amps (I ordered a 1.5amp usb adapter which I will try later) but the 2.5mm ac to dc power plug seems to be the only way to charge it. The stock charger is 5v 1.5amp. I tested it and it charges at 5v 1.2amp. Any lower and it wont charge. Battery Life its a bit weak. I have a portable cell phone charger and unfortunately it's 1amp isn't high enough to charge. Maybe in the future I'll pick up a higher amp portable battery bank for it, but I can use it most of the day on a single charge.
    Another thing I noticed is that the touch screen isn't so great, but it seems to work well using stylus. So I highly recommend picking one up.
    All in all a good deal for what I need it for.

mondotone

2. mondotone

Update:

I purchased a usb to 2.5mm adapter for a few bucks on amazon. The tablet will charge with 500ma to 1.5amp (don't have anything higher) ac to usb adapter (tested with 500ma, 700ma, 1amp and 1.5amp)(same one for any android phone). Will only charge via the 2.5mm power port. Will not charge with the micro usb connector. I believe the micro usb is for data only, to connect to your computer. It takes a while to connect so I recommend just ejecting the micro sd card and connecting that to your computer to move files to.

Also I picked up a Skinomi Techskin (Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2nd gen), Gear Head Universal Portfolio for 7" Tablets case (around $15), and a universal stylus touch pen (a few bucks). I bought the Amazon Kindle size because it was on clearance on amazon for $3.94 plus shipping. Just cut it down to size with a metal ruler and a sharp blade. All my past and current phones all have a Skinomi screen protector. Only thing I ever found that was durable and bubble free. A bit of work to put it on but well worth it. The Gear Head works very well. You can angle the tablet and protects it well. I originally purchased a Eforcase Universal 7 inch tablet pu leather protective case cover but the Ematic is too large for it. The tablet works really well with a stylus so I highly recommend purchasing one.

Hope this helps the next person.

3. mondotone

Update. The unit is not charging. I took it apart and the battery was at 3.1v so it didn't go down below so it's still good. So I connected alligator clips directly to the battery and charged it at 1amp for a couple of days (yes it too that long to fully charge it). seems to charge but will not charge with the 2.5mm power plug (am currently attached it to a 2.1amp usb charger. i'll see if it does anything). So now it's only good if the power is constantly connected. Not much use for me unless one of my computer monitors goes out and my old ones decides to go bad, and the monitors for my other desktops goes bad as well. Yeah not likely. I guess live and learn.

I setup an Asus T100 tablet/mini laptop for someone and i'm thinking of picking one up if i can find it on sale. There's a model with a 2.5" 7mm 500g hard drive on the keyboard and thinking of opening it up to see if the models that doesn't come with a hard drive can be added. We'll see.

Seems like all this has taught me a lesson. One that I should have followed. I buy only name brand computer parts. Never buy from an unknown company and one that's not reputable. I should have known better.i spent about half the price of an Asus and wasted so much time on this tablet.

Btw playing 480p movies was fine on the tablet with BS Player but 720 and above was skipping but then again the main reason for the tablet for me was to read pdf and text files but I did notice that I would have been better off with a larger screen like a 10".

4. mondotone

Update. It only took a little over a week but the tablet started to charge. used it yesterday to drain the battery and it's charging back up now. Even with the lower rated 500mA charger.

5. mondotone

Update. Picked up an Asus Transformer T100TA-B2-G2 about a week ago on sale at newegg for 165 referb. It's so much better. It's what a tablet should be with a long battery life. It gets at least 4 times what my tablet gets now. The Ematic only gets a few hours of used b4 the battery goes thud. If I really wanted to budget it i guess i could try replacing the battery with a higher mah rated battery but compared to the Asus it's like driving a beaten up Pinto after driving a Skyline.

I haven't really messed with it much cause i'm waiting for the win10 update. Atom Z3775 quad core processor, 2g ram 32g msata. put a 64g micro sd card (this is the largest it supports).

I did crack the keyboard case open. No battery in this model and no slot for a 2.5" 7mm hard drive so I'm trying to see if i can pick one up from somewhere. Keyboard case has only the keyboard, usb 3.0 controller board with 1 ext connector for it. Oh and a thin weight. I was going to leave it out but the tablet likes to fall backwards without that little bit of weight. So anyone interested in opening it don't bother unless you spilled you're drink on the keyboard. Plus loctiting each screw back is a bit more work but any portable device, you should take the extra step or risk loosing a screw here and there. I learned my lesson... Well that and having to end up buying a screw kit.. an added expense cause of my laziness.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015