Elitepad 1000 not recognizing external monitor

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ag95keri, Jan 24, 2015.

1. ag95keri

ag95keri Pen Pal - Newbie

I have my EP 1000 on the EP docking station. It recognizes all the attached devices except the monitor. There's no problem with the monitor or the cable because it works fine with my other laptop.

My searches only came up with external monitor issues for the EP 900, and it seems there was a software/firmware update to fix that. I don't see any software/firmware updates for the 1000 that apply to this situation.

Of course I tried all the usual things, rebooting, undocking/redocking, unattaching/reattaching the cable. After retrying many of these things, I did get it working once. Then I took undocked the laptop and took it with me for the day, and I haven't been able to get it to work again.

Is there a magic sequence of docking/boothing/cabling that I need to follow? Has anyone else run into this issue?

2. geofff

geofff Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Keri;

Nine months later and there's still nothing visible about your elitepad's 1000's problem. But Google has promoted your unanswered thread to the top of the list for such Elitepad 2nd screen failures, so I thought I'd at least give you one response and say your problem was not a one-off & ask you how you got on with solving it?

My secondary screen suddenly went blank and now refuses to re-connect. I suspect the connection might have been having problems before, as the screen had very occasionally been going black for a second (I now guess that was it reconnecting).

I too have tried everything I can think of in the settings/rebooting/replacing HDMI cable & like you I now there's nothing wrong with my secondary monitor as 2 other Windows computers can use it as a secondary screen. I'm guessing it's not a driver/firmware problem as the Elitepad's secondary screen worked 4 or 5 hours with the loaded software.

My HP dock's speakers gives an annoying 3 or 4 note bleep sequence every 30 seconds, so the tablet does at least seems to be continually trying to make contact.

There's nothing I can see on the HP site about this. My post on HP's industrial product assistance forum has also got no replies (but why would the general public do HP's industrial support for them for free? Requests for help on HP's non-industrial product forum do get some responses, but they say that an Elitepad problem needs to only use the bleakly unresponsive industrial forum)

I though buying a rugged tablet used by industry would be a neat idea compared to the Galaxy Tab option (which I've used and appreciated the huge online resources available about its use). I'm now beginning to suspect that using HP's Elitepad may be best suited for people with an in-house IT dept for product back-up. I guess nearly all Elitepad problems get solved without ever getting mentioned in the net?

Regards Geoff

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. asfletch

asfletch Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, I had to try a few different HDMI->DVI cables before I found one that worked with my Elitepad 1000 dock. It's quite fussy apparently.

geofff likes this.
  4. geofff

geofff Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks asfletch

No idea what the problem was; But evidentially moving to Windows 10 seemed to do the trick.

So assume it must have been some sort programming glitch from a Windows or HP update & not to do with with the screen, cables, tablet or dock. Cables for both options of screen connection now work.

My elitepad & its second screen now have the annoying habit of going black, always for the same 3 second period every hour or so, for no obvious reason. The sound also stops. Irritating, but guess I can live with that for a while.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  5. asfletch

Yep - I'm on Win10 and have same behaviour - screen connected to the dock randomly goes black for a couple of seconds. Also knocks out my secondary monitor briefly (connected via Displaylink adapter). At least it recovers every time (touch wood)!

This doesn't happen to you when no external screen's connected does it?

6. geofff

geofff Pen Pal - Newbie

No, asfletch, these very occasional 2 second black-outs are only with the external screen

But the main problem is solved. My intermittent display connection failure was definitely down to the dock, not the elitepad, not either the hdmi or 15 pin docking cable, not the screen & not the driver or Windows upgrade.

I've tracked down the problem of intermittent cutting-out & reconnecting, as I've now got 2 elitepads & 3 docks and the old dock does not reliably connect to either pad & if connected, tends to cut out & keeps resetting. Both pads work fine on both new docks. As it happens on both type of wires I can only assume there's a weak connection in the dock's circuits.

However both elitepads still have this odd habit of going blank very occasionally for 2 seconds on the external monitor. It happened after the Windows 10 upgrade. I can live with it for now in the hope that an HP or WIndows patch might come along & solve it.

7. asfletch

Hi again geofff, I noticed HP had finally released Win10 slate driver package (incl. graphics, sound, cameras etc), but installed it yesterday and I still get the occasional blanking of the external monitor. Oh well, sounds like people are having worse docking issues with the new Surface Pro!

8. asfletch

Update - March 2016 Intel Slate driver (including graphics drivers) recently pushed out by HP for Elitepad 1000 does not solve intermittent screen blanking issue (just in case anyone is wondering). Still, overall this is a good productivity solution with the dock. The 10586 Windows 10 update seems to have made it snappier.