Elitebook 2740p Broke - Advice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by evilxs2, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilxs2

evilxs2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I love this damn computer. It rotated while in the bookbag and the tab broke the screen. I'm pretty angry right now but life goes on.

Is there a newer model of this out yet?

One with a better design than nubs?

Thank you

2. TeslaTC4400

TeslaTC4400 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try the elitebook 2760p

3. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK the 2760p is the same physical design so will have the same problem.

There seems to be a problem with the reliability of the latch on these systems, mine required almost complete replacement of everything to fix it.

Perhaps the best option is to replace the display. Maybe remove the nubs, too.

4. evilxs2

evilxs2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does HP have any tablets similar in function and size without the tabs?

I truly appreciate the responses, thanks guys

5. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

All of the 2700 series are the same basic chassis design.

Is there a tablet with equal capability with a different design? No, not by HP anyway. Lenovo uses a more robust latch and very little for nubs.

Sounds like partying with the books in the bookbag is not the place for an expensive electronic device.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. evilxs2

evilxs2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Partying in the bookbag? I'm a lawyer, my expensive electronics hardly do much "partying". Excluding some case files and taxes for a client the laptop was on its own.

This is a bag specifically built for the laptop with a separate laptop compartment. I've never had any trouble with this happening with any computer, the poor design and nubs allow movement when it should not be possible.

I've been shopping some other tablet designs, the real stinker to this problem is that no stores locally carry any convertible tablets. I have to buy and have delivered to get to see anything in person.

The warranty post breakage route would cause me to lose my job, so not worth it all things considered. I stopped by office depot today but the laptops were a sad slim selection.

8. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, you did say "bookbag" rather than laptop bag. Normally the bags with a laptop specific compartment do a pretty good job of protection while on the go. I've got a smallish Dell bag I use for mine that I've been bashing around in my car, on the bus, and on the back of my motorcycle and haven't had any issues, (yet).

You'll get no argument from me that the latch is a poor design that should not have been carried forward through 3 generations of the product.

9. evilxs2

evilxs2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I apologize, my broken computer frustrations are unfairly making me sensitive. I wish I had broken the darn thing through my own fault, then I wouldn't be upset. It is much more frustrating to have the darn thing break on its own.

Started looking at non tablet elitebooks. I just cant see putting myself through this again. Kinda sad, I loved having a tablet.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ohh eck how so? I've had two machines repaired before now and I've even informed the tech rep that I purchased the warranty after the machine was damaged? They're offering a service that's right there on their web page.

...There's nothing on the web page that states that you'd be doing something morally wrong! (But I understand where you're coming from as you're a lawyer)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.