Eliminate screen grainiess by removing digitizer for tx2000?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DRTigerlilly, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

No, the protective film is only one half (Or none of?) the touchscreen, you need the glass there for it to work.

However, when the glass is removed, the stylus still works, as touchscreen, as this uses a completely different system to the passive (touch) one.

2. fatpanda

fatpanda Pen Pal - Newbie

So the protective film has nothing to do with the touch screen.

Whazzup mentioned earlier that peeling the screen affects the sensor threads for the passive touch.

I'm wondering if anyone has cut around the sensor threads, pealed off the film and applied a better protective film.

By doing so you get a better screen and possibly retain touch screen capabilities?

Has anyone did the above before?

Thanks.

3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

well, given tat it's a resistive touchscreen, i presume tat in order for the touchscreen to work, the sensors has to sense the pressure on the film.

n frm wat i can remember, the sensor threads at the edges of the film are pretty thin and delicate, and some sort of adhesive is applied to them as well, so the the film's edges are stuck onto the lcd. I'll try to upload a photo of the removed film when i'm back home.

4. fatpanda

fatpanda Pen Pal - Newbie

That's true. The film must contain both resistive and conductive metallic layers for the passive touch screen.

I guess you can't have everything. A photo of the film should be interesting to see.

Thank you for your input Whazzup.

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

k, updated 1st post with pics of the film, for anyone interested.

6. Darkfrost

Replaced the glass on mine (since it smashed), with a sheet of perspex (Got it custom made). When the plastic cover is ontop of the perspex, the grainy-ness of the screen is back, although not as bad as it with before ^^

Measurements are: 275mm x 178mm x 1.5mm, if anyone cares. Might be slightly out though

7. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

yo, how hard would it be to replace the touch panel on this pc? (opposed to just removing it)

I thought I'd ask the people who have experience opening this thing up,
    -Tyler

8. Darkfrost

Eh, it's a right pain to take off, since it's glued to the screen. And once you've got it off, you have to be careful not to get a load of dust in there. I'd imagine though, if you could find a replacement screen, it wouldn't be too hard to replace it.

(I never looked at the connector on the other side, behind the screen, but I imagine it's a standard ribbon cable connector). Bear in mind though, the glass touchscreen, and the thin plastic ontop of it, both seem to be part of the touchscreen, so you'd need a screen with both.

9. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

well the case is the screen assembly costs about $220-300 and a touch panel costs about $80.

this person is better off with a different laptop.

10. Darkfrost

Probably better off buying a dead one off of ebay, and then doing the heatgun fix, or just swapping out the motherboard with a working one, it's likely to be cheaper :-/

Also, where can you buy the touch panels from? I looked around for a while to find one, but ended up getting a perspex panel made because I couldn't find one :-/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.