Eliminate screen grainiess by removing digitizer for tx2000?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DRTigerlilly, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o-man123

o-man123 Pen Pal - Newbie

hey guys,

i was wondering if either nayato or whazzup could help me with improving the screen graininess on my tx2000. can either of you guys send me instructions on how you took the touchscreen film off or how you removed the passive digitizer? you can just email me through my profile. thanks!

2. nayato

nayato Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi o-man123,

I've got alert of your message. Actually I can share my experience of the final result as 3 months have passed. Everything I was righting is just as I told except two moments:
    - I couldn't find good screen protector (not an easy trick in Siberia..) and I'm still using my tablet as is - touching the glass. You know, it doesn't get scratched anymore. I'm using stylus in both notebook and tablet modes: writing by hand, navigating and scrolling.. I did enough to say that it doesn't get scratched :)
    - the screen became more reflective. In fact I can see my reflection on the black screen when it boots up. So I'm still looking for good screen protector (matte first of all).

As for the method I've used to remove the film:
    I took off the screen frame (actually I didn't even detach it fully, leaving the bottom part attached as it was too hard to take off and I was frightened to break it). Then I've seen the film itself covering the piece of glass. I used knife to cut film on the border (safe area, where the glass will be covered by screen frame when assembled back) and have a corner I'll be able to pull off. Then I used nothing but my hands :) tricky thing is that film is quite sturdy and when you tear it, it lays down back to screen and it's almost impossible to take it off again (not nice feelings when you're in the mid of screen) but nothing is impossible though ;)

I encourage you to try it! But you should remember that this way you'll never be able to turn touch screen pack (I mean finger-touch). Oh, and don't forget to turn off (detach the connector) the touch screen before you assemble screen back. I have forgotten about it and the screen gets electrified and discharges on my hands :D It's not a big problem but it makes feel uncomfortable. I'm still too lazy to disassemble it again just to detach the connector. (may be I'm getting old..)

Good luck!

3. jiwwy-ast

jiwwy-ast Pen Pal - Newbie

this is amazing to know!
    the graininess of this tablet is so high...(I thought mine was broken when i actually received it)

the " ripple" though sounds like an issue to me...since i' m painting with the stuff...i would be disturbed by the color distorted where the cursor...

maybe a solution would be to replace the touchscreen with a piece of glass?
    anyone tried that?

4. Drummerbones

Drummerbones Pen Pal - Newbie

I just removed the touch screen portion literally a half hour ago. Best thing I have ever done.

I also draw using my tablet and if you just peel off the touch film on the top of the glass you still have the glass there to keep the issue of distortion from occurring and it is damn clear.

I just used a sharp knife and ran it around the screen just underneath the touch film. Then it just came right off.

The graininess was the worst part of this laptop. And I never used the touch controls, besides the pen, anyway.

I definitely feel like I need a screen protector. Any recommendations? I think I would prefer Matte since the screen is just so reflective.

5. jiwwy-ast

Well you sold me...
    Put some pink floyd in the air....nice beverage and did it...
    struggle a bit...broke the film in half...there was no turning back...but it worked!

it's like having a new computer indeed...
    screen is clear....much brigther...

I had this secret hope that it would fix bad viewing angles but no :(....

So quickly I fired up my drawing programs...and here's something nobody talked about....it completely changes the feel of the pen....
    it not as smooth anymore...lot of irregularities....
    you get more grip which is good....but it's a bit choppy...
    so for me, for now it's mixed feelings...

Although I believe a simple screen protector will transform the last point in a non-issue...

EDIT:
    just took a picture..so you can see the difference in brightness and hue even...
    turns out i still have to use the piece of the old film...otherwise the drawing experience is not good on glass...
    a screen protector will fix that hopefully...i have to find a good provider here in europe....

[​IMG]

6. Drummerbones

I had the same issue but cleaning it with a microfiber cloth with a dab of rubbing alcohol helped a little, not sure if it was a residue but I definitely still feel what you do. I had a crappy screen protector that I had laying around and i put it on there and it feels good but sadly the quality of it was so bad that it started peeling up so I had to pull it off.

The screen protector definitely improves the pen feeling. I like it better then when it had the touch panel since that had a bit of a gab between the screen and the glass so i felt it didnt respond as well as I would have liked.

But now i feel I get better sensitivity response.

And yes, sadly the poor viewing angles is due to the LCD I had a secret hope that it would help me out there too but it didn't.

Overall I am so glad I did this. Colors are so much better and clearer then before. Helps a lot when doing print work on the go. I used to have to do so much color correction on my workstation since the laptop screen would be so off.

As I sad above though, a screen protector is pretty much a must have after you do this. It makes this thing feel so much better.

I'm thinking the best thing to do for a screen protector is to get a protector bigger then the 12.1" that the laptop is like 14-15" and then pop off the cover to the lcd and apply it to the glass so that it covers the screen and ends up with no lines when you put the cover back on.

Now I just gotta find a good protector.

7. nayato

nayato Pen Pal - Newbie

I've read a lot about screen protectors (check out gottabemobile.com for comparison) and photodon is the best as far as I know. I had no oportunity to check it though :(

8. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

nice....opencanvas user too! been using that for quite a while, but recently changed to using paint tool sai.

yah, u shld get a screen protector asap....and be careful, as the glass is brittle, so the protector will go a long way towards maintaining the overall health of ur tablet....

9. jiwwy-ast

I use SAI as well...amazing pieces of software...they both made me quit Photoshop and Painter....at least on the tabletPC and for sketches....
    incredible value fo the price!

unfortunately, photodon does not ship oversea anymore....
    i have to find some provider...I was thinking about this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-TX1000-TrueVue-Anti-Glare-Protector/dp/B000RKTXP6

Every seller I've found is based in the US...it's incredible....
    what's wrong with europe...I always struggle to purchase this type of technical items...(let alone tablets)

EDIT:
    I just tried some felt tips I had lying around for the stylus of my Intuos 3...
    1st , they fit....and 2nd they feel so much better...
    it's giving this smooth grip so important when drawing (that software like Opencanvas simulate nicely anyway as opposed to PS)...

Even on glass it flows nicely now...

10. Drummerbones

Okay so its been a while since i did this and its amazing. The screen is excellent now. I have added on a WriteShield screen protector and it is amazing. The screen protector does add back some of the grain that was there before but not nearly as much. And the brightness isn't lost at all like it was before.

The texture of the protector is great. Feels closer to writing on paper, especially with the felt tips. Really expensive but top of the line. Installation was so easy. Definitely do this in a steamy bathroom. I had such a simple time doing it in the bathroom. No dust at all.

The other bonus I am loving is the gab between the screen and the film is gone so drawing feels a lot better. I know a lot of people probably prefer the gab because it feels like writing on a pad of paper but I prefer it this way. I feel i have more control of the sensitivity of my pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.