Eliminate screen grainiess by removing digitizer for tx2000?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DRTigerlilly, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

You sound happy about the mod. Have you tried it outside yet?

2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

updated first post with pics and a video

yup, tried it outside, slightly brighter, slightly better viewing angles. Not a lot, but still great! XD

3. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

Kinda scary taking out that screen. A thin black soft foam adhesive might do the trick in sealing that gap.

4. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

If you got a slightly thicker screen protector (Lets say the same thinness/thickness as the passive digitizer) then I doubt you would continue to see those "ripples".

5. roflballs

roflballs Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... I was just wondering, is the inner LCD matte or glossy finish? I assume its matte from the video & photographs, as well as the ripple effect (glossy screens are usually more rigid). Also, they would have no reason to put a glossy screen on the inside...

As such, if the LCD inside is matte finish, how is the glare compared to the passive digitizer? Is it of comparable quality/finish to standard laptops?

6. roflballs

roflballs Pen Pal - Newbie

Just another thought... Does anyone know the dimensions of the touchscreen? (including thickness) I'm wondering if it could be replaced with just a thin sheet of glass or plastic to fill in the gap, prevent ripples, and protect the screen at the same time.

7. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it'd also be interesting to see how much the mass of the unit has been reduced by taking the touchscreen out.

8. nayato

nayato Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all. Just thought if it will have the same effect to remove the touchscreen film only. You can check that if you'll press the film strongly so it will stick to the glass behind there will be much less graininess in that spot. So probably this film as the root of problems. What do you think, will it be possible to just cut it off leaving the glass in place?

9. nayato

nayato Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally did it. Now I have a crystal clean screen with much better viewing angles! BTW I have no metioned gap between bezel and screen as the film was quite thin. Now I'm considering use of screen protector as a glass itself feels a bit scratch-catching. Yes, it will add some minor negative effects to overall screen experience but it will definitely be not so irritating to my eyes.

10. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

nice! i tried looking at mine, and the film is indeed peel-able. But peeling if off seems to tear and affect the sensor threads around the edge of the glass, and i believe that may render it useless. Then again, the advantages of a clear screen is clearly.....very clear.....

and try the photodon protectors, they're good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.