Eliminate screen grainiess by removing digitizer for tx2000?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DRTigerlilly, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

**Updated Feb 16, 2010: Pics of the touchscreen film tat was removed (Bottom of post)

*Update Jan 24, 2010:

NOTE 1: This only applies to TX2000 and TX2500 series. TX2 laptops have an integrated touch/pen digitizer, so the mod doesn't work!

NOTE 2: When i first did the removal below, i took out the whole sensor film plus glass panel. However, as noted by nayato (thanks!), you can juz PEEL OFF the touchscreen film, with the glass panel STILL resting on top of the lcd panel. This is a MUCH better option, easier to do, and solves the issue of the gap in the bezel as well!

Just tried it today, and like wat he found, tat irritating flimsy film is the source of all our poor display problems. Poor, poor implementation by HP (Or maybe it's wacom)!

And of course, get a screen protector!

Update: took out the touchscreen panel. pictures below:

[​IMG]
    already without touchscreen panel. Note the patchy black spots around the rim of the panel, touchscreen was stuck on lcd frame with some spongy tape, inserted a penknife to cut through the black sponge.

Note1: Touchscreen is very fragile n brittle. A slight push using a screwdriver was enough to cause a tiny crack at the edge of the touchscreen.

[​IMG]

TOP: with touchscreen, you can see the grains and horizontal lines
    BELOW: after removing the touchscreen...

[​IMG]

Note2: After removal of touchscreen, there'll be a gap between the black display bezel and the screen.
    Note3: Tapping/Using the pen on the screen now, will cause some 'ripples'

[​IMG]
    Touchscreen Panel

[​IMG]
    Gap in bezel after taking out touchscreen. In practice, i dun really notice the gap due to the black bezel, and turning the lcd normally involves holding onto the outer region of the bezel, not the inner. And the bezel plastic is quite stiff, so it doesn't really give way that much.

Or, an alternative is to get some black flat sponge tape, then tape the area where the touchscreen was. So when the bezel is fixed, the gap will be covered up with the tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuuB-6kAUzs
    A look at the ripples on the lcd
    note: applied an anti-glare matt screen protector for the time being, till i get myself a clear one...

To sum up, in return for a clearer screen, you'll have to live with:
    a) Gap in bezel
    b) Ripples on the lcd while using pen
    c) Possibility of screwing up the mod, and hence the laptop

Worth it, for me at least. XD

**Updated: Pics of the touchscreen film tat was removed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Now hang on, there are two digitizers on the TX2000.

The "active" controls the pen input. This is controlled by hardware behind the screen.

The "passive" is the finger touch screen, and is controlled by the film on the screen.

So if you take the film off you should only lose the "passive" touchscreen. And your warranty.

3. mg_ex

mg_ex Pen Pal - Newbie

and the gariness

if i have tx2000 i would remove it and have a wonderfull screen (am not sure about that)

since i got tx1000 i cant thats all i have

4. whazzup

yup, tat's how i understand it. As for the warranty, I'm operating on the chance tat as long as i juz nid to remove screws and flip latches and not do any permanent damage, i can put the passive screen back in should i one day need to send the notebook back to HP.

Probably going to try it, but do sound out if anyone thinks there're risks i haven't considered....

5. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to hear how this works out, because the screen is the only thing I dislike about this machine. Do tell, asap, what happens after you remove the touch part, and if it is replacable later.

6. whazzup

yup, it works! and the touchscreen isn't spoilt, so if u want, you can put it back into the notebook....

took a couple of pics to show the differences, pls check the first post of this thread...

7. peerah

peerah Pen Pal - Newbie

Ooh. The operation looks way too scary for me.

8. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

I do see some difference with the touchscreen removed. I notice it mostly on the white/lighter colored areas such as the wheel well and the bumper.

1. Have you noted any difference in brightness, battery life, outdoor usage?

I am very concerned about your remark that the screen ripples when you use the pen.

9. whazzup

i'll probably get a screen protector later so as not to scratch the screen. The ripple's like when you press a lcd with your finger.

It's much clearer definitely, w/ the panel gone. The colours are more....juicy? XD

yet to try it outdoors, will do so in a while.

10. Duface

Duface Pen Pal - Newbie

Very interesting. I'll definitely consider doing this, I absolutely hate the grainy/greasy look of the passive digitizer. So... Is there a gap between the screen and the bezel now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.