Electronic Charting program / form building?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by OzarkCDN, Apr 6, 2015.

1. OzarkCDN

OzarkCDN Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all - I'm exploring ideas of how to start using electronic charting for my acupuncture clinic. What I have done is to use OneNote and import my existing excel worksheet as a worksheet or PDF and then use my vtn8 to write ontop of the form. I'm attaching a sample of what I'm looking for.

Question that I have is - is this the best way of doing it? I don't think I want to use it to 'scan to OCR' as my handwriting is terrible... and I sometimes diagram etc in the notes. One problem that I have with it now is that my tablet is small for my aging eyes and I want to maximize the space on the screen, and I'm not very good with OneNote at all. Is there a better way to 'build a form' for OneNote or is there a better program to use overall?

Attached Files:

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

It looks like you are on the right track. I assume that you know you can import the form lines as a graphic, set that to background, Resize the page to something to something printable, and then save that as a template. Every new page you add would then have the form as the background. Its seems like it would preferable to have a single record per page, horizontal. You should be able to make that form work fine within an 8" screen (I have old eyes too)

You could actually design the form to work automatically with OneNote's Page titling and date stamping that usually appears in the upper left. with the patient name as the title and the date underneath.

If the graphic template is set to background it can't be accidentally edited and it makes it easy to zoom in and pan to accommodate your eyesight.

I think you could even create a set of custom tags that you use to help sort and find records. OneNotes search and find function is quite good.

You could also create a form with acrobat and use acrobat or a pdf editor like Drawboard to take notes but I think that is less flexible than One Note

If you want to make something that has expandable field boxes (not fixed) then that will get more complicated. Keep it simple IMO.

By all means you would want to keep a backup of the notebook separate from the device.

Ty Googling: Onenote EMR , filter by "last year" you'll find a handful of references. Not all of them good but other's have pursued the same line of reasoning.

OzarkCDN likes this.
  3. OzarkCDN

OzarkCDN Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know about importing the lines as a graphic - but sounds something like exporting the form as a tiff / gif and then setting that up on a new page in ON. The rest is shakey, but you get where I'm trying to go so that will give me plenty to start googling on, thanks.

4. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Fastest way:
    Select the cells you want with borders in Excel.
    Copy
    Go to OneNote,
    Create a new tab just for these forms
    Paste the Excel data
    While pasted object is still selected, slick on the "Paste Options" pop-up near the lower right corner of pasted object.
    Select the far right icon "Paste as picture"
    Size and position the template to where you want on the page
    Right click, select "Set picture as background" from the pop-up.

The picture will now be impervious to writing, erasing, etc that goes on on top of it.

To turn this into a standard OneNote template:
    Under menu item: View select "Paper Size"
    At the bottom right of the Paper Size window select "Set current page as template"
    name the template AND check the box "Set as default template"
    Now every new page in this tab will include the form background.

OzarkCDN likes this.