electromagnetic pollution caused by tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nilowann, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hell-Cat

Hell-Cat Pen Pal - Newbie

TriField TF2 arrived home today. I measured magnetic field, electric field, and electromagnetic radiation from wacom cintiq 22.

Magnetic field was less than 0.5mG on the glass surface and around cintiq 22. You shouldn't need to worry about magnetic field.

There was no electric field at all near cintiq 22.

Electromagnetic radiation between 20MHz and 6Ghz was less than 0.25mW/m^2 on the glass surface. To qualitatively measure electromagnetic radiation at 500KHz and 250KHz, I may need a portable AM radio, but I don't worry much about electromagnetic radiation from cintiq 22. If I'm worried, I can wear https://emfacademy.com/emf-radiation-protection-gloves/ and forget about electromagnetic radiation from cintiq 22.

@thatcomicsguy I think that your pen display may contain an AC-to-DC converter inside it. Any AC to DC converter casts a strong magnetic field and a strong electric field around it. In addition to that, my desk inherited a fraction of electric field from adjacent AC-to-DC converters. After putting some distance between my desk and AC-to-DC converters, my desk stopped casting electric field around it. Perhaps, your desk is too close to AC-to-DC converters.

In practice, just putting some distance between your desk and AC-to-DC converters should be enough. Also make sure that your gadgets are properly grounded and have no ground loop. Grounding errors multiply electric field a lot. When there was any grounding error, TriField TF2 couldn't measure electric field because electric field was too strong.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yep. That was my assessment as well; Internal electronics/power inverters are likely to blame for the magnetic field. It sounds like you've got a good understanding of things and have done a good job of setting up your desk to best minimize effects. Keeping aware of wall sockets and power converters is smart.

I don't know if you looked at my own video or not (from last year) where I tested the Dell; you can see the readings starting at around 29 minutes into the video (Posted here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...on-caused-by-tablets.19428/page-6#post-533953 )

Basically, I got results similar to yours, but with a stronger magnetic field, (which we can't shield against with gloves or cloth), and no relevant levels of radio frequency in the WiFi/Smartphone range. (Does the Cintiq 22 have a WiFi component? Like one of those wireless control modules?)

Anyway, it sounds like a good little meter you've picked up. You might consider making a short video of your testing, running the meter around the edges and over the surface of your Cintiq at different settings. I'm sure other Wacom users would appreciate that on YouTube. I'd certainly be interested in seeing the differences between models.

3. Hell-Cat

The only documented wireless component in cintiq 22 is EMR technology for communication with cintiq pen. EMR technology may emit small amounts of electromagnetic radiation above 500Khz.

I may upload a video after obtaining a portable AM radio for measuring dirty electricity in my house and electromagnetic radiation from EMR technology.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Hell-Cat

5. thatcomicsguy

I'm one of the most ardent believers of non-official realities, fringe science and psi, etc. I think UFOs are real and that mind control via cell phones happens all the time.

However, that thing performs only one function: separating people from their money. Devices of that sort, (charms, coils on necklaces, etc.) don't make any difference to measurable EM. -And the creators who sell them don't explain in clear language how they supposedly work.

In this particular case, what the website describes is just silly. From what I gather, (when their blather is reduced to its raw essence), their device is basically an antenna which converts signal into heat. -This might prevent EM from passing the 2" x 3" area directly covered by the card. Like a tiny, un-grounded section of a Faraday cage. (Or a small piece of tinfoil, if we're being honest). Basically, in any WiFi active environment this is functionally useless, like trying to hide in the shadow of a credit card while standing in a brightly lit room. But the ad copy and magical circles and the wonderful "Micro Chip" are impressive enough to confound the average person without actually lying (i.e., making them liable for fraud).

Discernment matters.

All of which is to say.., I bet they've sold thousands of those things!

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  6. Hell-Cat

I read more closely. My understanding is that it absorbs electromagnetic radiation, analyzes it, and emits counteracting electromagnetic radiation that turns ambient electromagnetic radiation into one that is harmonious with a human's natural electromagnetic radiation. I don't understand technical details. Their theory seems to be that if you change the quality of electromagnetic radiation, it may become harmless to a human. If the theory is true, the device may work against cell towers, bluetooth, wifi, and other wireless devices.

Because the theory is new to me, this may be a deception, but I haven't ruled out the possibility that it may actually work. You can't evaluate this product with an EMF meter.
    But, a spectrum analyzer or an oscillator could reveal its effects.

But, I would focus on reducing EMF before considering this product because reducing EMF is a proven method to protect myself from EMF.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  7. thatcomicsguy

Huh...

What you're describing is an interesting idea; like noise cancellation but in the RF range.

On variable communications frequencies, such a system would have to detect, invert and re-broadcast at the speed of light, but I'm sure it's possible. Maybe through an analog mirroring system which doesn't actively try to decode anything but just takes incoming wave forms, flips them and spits them out again at the exact amplitude needed to level the signal. Seems tricky. (That's half the beauty of the Wacom digitizer; there's a lot of analog stuff going on, letting the universe do the math for you, as it were). But radio waves are like water waves across 3 dimensions, and the science turns to art (or voodoo) pretty quickly as chaos enters the picture. Trying to cancel for a random space with an unknown number of transmission sources broadcasting from random locations.., that would be tough. I'm also doubtful it could be done without an outside power source and some fairly large antennas to sculpt signal for a given space. But I bet it could be achieved with enough work.

Probably it isn't going to happen from inside a wallet or from a necklace, though.

8. Hell-Cat

It's changing the quality of electromagnetic radiation so that it becomes harmonious with a human body's own electromagnetic radiation.
    You don't need a lot of power to do that. The card gets its power from ambient electromagnetic radiation.
    The theory is that harmonious electromagnetic radiation is harmless to human.
    I haven't been able to verify the theory, though.

9. RetroAeon

RetroAeon Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Cintiq 22,like older model. I startedd getting tumours in my thighs and drawing arm. I got a emf reader and my cintiq sends it off the scale of RF setting....

10. Hell-Cat

I gave up on becoming an artist because I was worried about EMF. You can reverse cancer by eating CBD oil and living a clean life.
    Reduce EMF and toxic foods in your life. Eat CBD oil.

You better look for a different career, or draw on paper.