elastic pen cursor on TX2500

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by trans6, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trans6

trans6 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I was just being extra fussy. Thanks for all your help. Happy new year!

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Happy New Year to you too, Glad i could help.

3. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an order in for the tx2500z with HP, in production right now. I chose the ZM-80, but I could have got a ZM-82 for $14 after discounts. I figured it would be powerful enough for drawing. Though, it has 4 gigs of ram and Vista 64bit.

I expect this laptop to have that lag with the pencil, just happy enough these things have pressure abilities and follow that close. There are a few youtube videos of people drawing on the tx2500z, but it's hard to see that slight lag due to resolution, still impressed me enough to get one.

But could you guys test performance in Photoshop when running the cpu throttled down in power save mode?

Maybe a basic pencil like test, then a fatter brush with opacity set to pressure for more of a paint look rather than just size, something more cpu intensive.

If there isn't a drastic change, then I'd imagine I didn't make a mistake choose a slower zm-80. I'll be using CS3 Photoshop. Also, I figure the pressure works in Illustrator too for simulating inking.

I've already had fun drawing on my iPhone with a big finger in the way, I hope this is just going to be so much more fun that the regular wacom tablet I have. Oh, I assume it has to be a Wacom penabled pen to work with the laptop, the chance of my existing wacom pen would work is slim.

4. trans6

trans6 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes it has to be a penabled pen , my regular Wacom pen doesn't work with it. It comes with a pen but it is very lightweight and cheap feeling, at some point I'd like to get a better pen - there don't seem to be any UK suppliers though.
    I'm happy with my tablet a little dissappointed that it wasn't up to running photoshop cs4.. perhaps an extra gig of ram would sort that out.(I only have 3)
    It had serious problems updating the screen quick enough in CS4 in a way that would effect my flow of work.
    The pressure works really well, I'll have to look into the power safe mode I haven't tested anything like that yet.
    As yet I've only played with it, I have ordered a stand and USB keyboard and will start using it on commissions after the holidays. I guess I will know then if this was a good buy!
    http://www.smallmoonvalley.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Just for clarification, the wacom pens that can work w/ the tablet pc are the following:

- PL500, PL600, Cintiq 15X, 17SX, 18SX, PenPartner, Art Z II, Intuos 1 and Sony LX900~920

6. trans6

trans6 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is an Intuos 2 so that explains why it dosn't work.

7. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, very nice artwork. I really like the style and bold color. I work at a newspaper as a graphic artist, but was still growing when it comes to illustration. And with all the cutbacks and smaller staff, I haven't done much besides feature layouts and graphics compared to full illustrations for a while. I hope to try and draw every day when I get my tx2500z. And will probably be fun to use Zbrush this way too.

Yeah, I'm curious about the power save modes, like when running on battery. Though, even while plugged in, switching to those modes to slow the cpu might keep it cooler or at least reduce how often the fan comes on. Unless the performance drop really hurts Photoshop.

What stand did you get?

I'm considering a Cricket stand since it's ultra portable and low surface area to keep the laptop cool. I'm worried about the depth the thing sticks out on a table when using a laptop at a flatter angle. But seems to look like a good option for a tablet.

Here's a review video and a bunch of pictures:
    http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=2236

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. trans6

trans6 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

This might help
    http://www.cartoonmonkey.com/TabTip_TamerV3.htm

10. trans6

trans6 Pen Pal - Newbie

wow thanks for that i will give it a try