eink reader on the back of surface pro- a dual display surface.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siddhartth, Sep 23, 2016.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft's philosophy is devices are just screens to get our work done - just interactive "surfaces". And Microsoft has already broken down the Apple's 3 screens norm (Mac - iPad - iphone) with it's Surface line. Windows10 is a behemoth of an OS taking, keyboard, voice, mouse (both left and right clicks) and even pen input. It's an desktop OS and a mobile OS all in one.

2016-09-23 20.20.01.png

But there are some undeniable facts -
    • LCD or LED are not great to read for long hours.
    • Microsoft soft has no content consumption platform to compete with Google play books, music or Apple's well established itunes and ibooks.
    • Amazon is the leader in content consumption market books etc.
    • Google hates Microsoft but Amazon doesn't.
    • Amazon's kindle brand has as many die hard loyalists as Microsoft Surface's - May be even more.
    • E-ink display technology is battery friendly.
    • There are many other ebooks and econtent providers that Microsoft should bring to their platform. Even if Microsoft have to even pay them for it.
    So here's a concept device. SURFACE devices with dual - qHD lcd and E ink display.
    Microsoft has one Windows apps store that has become a joke, as it has no apps, Google has youtube and what does Microsoft has ? Yeah channel9. EXcept for the Xbox branded mobile games there is nothing that might interest content consumption.

Yes they have defeated Macbook-iPad combo in theory with Surface pro hardware, but where is the content consumption Apps to compete with iPads-iOS combine?

And zune is no iTunes. Alone microsoft can not compete in that market. I have bought the very capable surface pro but i still had to ask my friend to lend me an iPad for some basic food delivery and shopping apps. I am thinking about buying a kindle ereader too (because i love my eyesight) . So, tell me Microsoft if i have to have an android phone, an ereader and an iOS tablet despite owning a surface how does that make my life simple?

Google wants to see windows mobile efforts die. I might never be able to wean myself off of youtube and googlebooks. But if Microsoft convinces Amazon to invest in their Windows store, brings their Books and multimedia content here. Then a Surface machine that condenses your Laptop, uour tablet and even your E - ink reader into one single machine will make a lot of sense.

You can protect the rear E-ink display if the key board cover has a flip cover for kickdtand side. Surface pro is large enough to show two consecutive e reader pages on each side of it's kickstand crease in the middle.

Someday we will have not just a surface phone with pen but a surface "pen and reader phone with continuum".

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm a Kindle fan, i have two of them and I have two Sony Readers as well. The Sony for Japanese books (this was before Amazon released books in Japan) but these days I'm almost exclusively reading on my Galaxy Note 8. All because of Google Books and library lending. Books from libraries are epub format, and Google make it super easy to sideload, drag and drop. So these days I have Google Books not only on my Note, but also on my iPad and phone.
    Sadly I notice that my Kindles and Sony are quietly gathering dust. Who knew that sideloading would be such an issue?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. siddhartth

I love google books & every thing about it but the fact that GOOGLE hates digital inking and Microsoft and also does not provide any libraries for professional course students in developing countries from where it gets most of android customers, despite being so huge and hoarding so much digitized material, makes me Frustrated. I have similar complaints regarding Amazon. But I like where MICROSOFT& Myscript is going with digital INK & I want to support them. I think Microsoft needs to bring all ibooks & Googlebooks competiton on it's platform. I have always liked microsoft's and Inkling's attitude towards education.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY I WANT FEWER SCREENS IN MY LIFE, AND E-INK ARE THE MOST HEALTHIEST DISPLAYS TO LOOK AT. MICROSOFT SHOULD DO SOMETHING RELATED TO Eink AND BUILDING IT'S OWN PLATFORM FOR EDUCATION AND BOOKS AND MULTIMEDIA CONSUMPTION. WITHOUT THIS THE SURFACE LINE WILL REMAIN OVERMUSCLED OVEREQUIPPED clerk AT the TOYSTORE that Windows apps store is

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Awwww. For a moment there, I thought new specs had been released for upcoming Surface models which included eInk dual displays!

Oh well.

I'm one of those willing to fight tooth and nail to make a device serve me regardless of content seller's wishes.

I have a Sony eReader, and it displays whatever I want it to, but there was definitely a long learning curve to make sure I could convert everybody's proprietary formats into generic epub. Amazon have been huge jerks in pretty much all they do, which inspires me to go above and beyond to never give them a dime more than I absolutely must. These days it's like my hobby.

siddhartth likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

That kind of dedication is admirable. Me, I'm just one lazy byâŧčh, it's all about convenience.

6. siddhartth

So youwill like a device like that? What are alternatives to amazon when it comes reading content? Which one is the most userfriendly?

7. Kumabjorn

That would probably be Nook from Barnes & Noble or Kobo from Rakuten. Their content is at least curated, Google Books has a lot of content but search is, ironically, the pits. But if you have content from other sources your reading will be synced over devices even if sideloaded and this is a lot more difficult process on the other devices. I'm not sure but I believe Kobo now had an Android Reader or one that is very easy to root.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. siddhartth

the thing I like most about Google play books is the icon. I have deleted all my books because of storage issues, bnt f still keep the icon in my Android dock just for the looks. If matches with the custom Background have stitched up using Sketchbook and paint & some images off of internet. Here's my home Screen-
    Screenshot_2016-09-24-11-56-02.jpg
    so, you prefer the freedom to root & sideload in Google books more than Eink displays of other platforms? Do you think eink technology is overrated? in penalty after arrival of true tone display in?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are books all over the place.

My last bit of reading came from the Gutenberg Project archive.

If I'm forced to buy from Amazon, (I'll contact an author directly before I sink to giving Amazon money), their encryption schemes are the most annoying but still breakable because there are people out there who hate walls and have the coding skills necessary to get through them. Trying to lock a piece of content to a specific device once you've paid for it is such a dick move.

Calibre is a pretty good program for managing and side-loading files.

siddhartth likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

The truth is that I like e-ink screens a lot, but I hate DRM, I understand that authors and publishers don't want their products to be pirated. But I want the freedom to read my purchases the way I like. Nobody cares if I rip off the cover from a paperback because I find it ugly, why shouldn't I be able to do the same with an electronic book?

Balbutio ergo sum

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.