eGPU works with T734

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by utopian201, Jun 4, 2016.

1. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

What are you having problems with? DSDT override? Also how do you find the performance with a GTX 760? I am looking to use a 760 with my setup.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. c00lb33nz

c00lb33nz Pen Pal - Newbie

The performance is of course not comparable to using it in a desktop, the available bandwidth using the adapter is not enough to allow the laptop to utilize all of the hardware resources of the desktop video card. That being said, it is probably better than an equivalent mobile video card, but I wouldn't know for certain as my last gaming laptop was an ASUS G51jx with a GTX 360M. I think I was able to achieve at least 40+ FPS with Fallout 4 on High settings on my x230 tablet with the diy eGPU. If I can find some time to attempt capturing some game footage using nVidia's Shadowplay I will upload the footage to youtube or something and link the video. I typically prefer to use the laptop display rather than output the video to an external monitor. I've heard this impacts the maximum achievable performance of the setup, as well as limiting the ability to use vsync as well as some other GPU features.

I tried looking into the DSDT override on the T734, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I can't remember the name of the guide I was trying to follow. If I recall, the hardware resource tree in device manager for their guide seemed too dissimilar to my hardware resource tree. I couldn't figure out what the correct memory addresses were that I needed to write into the DSDT override file.

3. utopian201

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@c00lb33nz given the low resolution of both X230t and T734, I don't think bandwidth is that much of a problem. With the ability to put an i7 quad inside T734, heat might be the main limiting factor of this machine, depending on silicon lottery. By the way, I played GTA V on iGPU - runs fine, on lowest settings.

5. utopian201

From my understanding, if you use an nvidia egpu, you can benefit from optimus which compresses the data when used on a single lane.

The bandwidth is a performance factor (you are restricting a card capable of 16x pcie lanes to 1x). When you are using it to power the laptop's screen, the data goes out to the geforce, and needs to comeback to the laptop.

The performance loss can be as high as 50%, so the best performance will always be best using an external monitor where the performance of a graphics card with a 4th gen i7 mobile CPU will be about the same as a 1st gen i7 desktop CPU.

6. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Pen Pal - Newbie

@utopian201
    I have also made an account just for this thread when i saw it. I'm on a T734, but I can't seem to get passed code 12 because I can't make sense of the dsdt override. Also whenever you're able to post instructions on how to get your internal monitor to work would be amazing. Cheers

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  7. utopian201