eGPU works with T734

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by utopian201, Jun 4, 2016.

1. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi
    I have managed to get an external GPU working via the expresscard slot with a T734.

Took a bit of fiddling, but got it to work with an external screen so far.
    Haven't managed to get optimus running, so can't get the geforce to pipe the image back to the internal notebook screen.

I've only tested it with Mechwarrior online, but with an i5 4300m:
    Integrated Intel HD4600 (menu): 28fps
    GT 440 (the only spare card I have lying around): 54fps

In game:
    Intel HD4600: 32fps
    GT 440: 38fps

According to passmark, a GT440 is only slightly faster than the HD4600, so I will try with something faster like a GTX 760.

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Nice! I looked into it a little bit as a possibility for utilizing my T901's expresscard slot, but I don't play the kind of games that require dedicated GPUs, so I never went through with it. Since my machine has its own optimus driver, I imagine it would be easier for me to use my internal screen, yes? I can't remember if it made things easier or more complicated. It's been a couple years since I read the eGPU thread at NBR.

It's always nice to have confirmation that these things work.

3. utopian201

hhmm, can't remember if it complicates things if your notebook already has discrete graphics. I think if you disabled it in the bios, it might make things easier. I've been trying all day since I started this thread trying to get optimus working, but no luck :(

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@utopian201 please keep us informed. x1.2Opt should work on T734, at least theoretically.
    @Selofain I read about implementation on T901 with NVS4200M somewhere. It's doable, but harder. You can always disable dGPU in BIOS, to make it simpler.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  5. c00lb33nz

c00lb33nz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, everyone. I made an account as soon as I saw this thread, as I also have a T734. Was hoping to use it as a work-school tablet and for gaming with an eGPU, if I was going to be away from home for a time, but was unable to get external graphics working. I've used external graphics with my Lenovo X220t and X230t with a GTX760 previously with a PE4L adapter (express-card variant), so I have some familiarity with the process.

@utopian201, what is the secret to your success?

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Hm, good to know. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I ever decide to get an eGPU.

7. utopian201

I think the discrete built in GPU -needs- to be disabled for the egpu to work.

At this point, it looks like optimus and using the internal screen is a driver issue - from what I have read, it works on Windows 8.1, but not easily or if at all on Windows 10.

8. Starlight5

@utopian201 are you using the iGPU drivers from Fujitsu website, or from Intel?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  9. utopian201

Generic Intel.

CAN CONFIRM EGPU CAN POWER LAPTOP DISPLAY!!! I have spent all weekend on getting this to work with my test graphics card. Now to get something better than a GT440! whooo!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Selofain and Starlight5 like this.
  10. Starlight5

@utopian201 that's a relief! Please post a detailed guide once you sorted everything out.