eeeNote Battery Issue ("?? % Remaining")...anyone having similar issues?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by nyreader6, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyreader6

nyreader6 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my eeeNote for about 6 months now with near-daily use and no issues whatsoever. Today I turned it on and before I knew it, an error came up that said something to the effect of 'Low battery, turning off'. Needless to say, the battery had at least 70% when I last used it. Since that I happened, I managed to turn it back on, only to see that the battery icon had "?? Remaining" when clicked on. I charged the battery until the status LED turned green and attempted to turn it on again, only to have it force shutdown again.

I managed to open up the case, pull out the SD card and make a back up of my notes. As soon as I attempt to connect my PC to the eeeNote or take any notes, it forces a shutdown due to what it believes is low battery life. Additionally, I performed a factory reset and the same issues still seem to occur. It seems that for whatever reason, the software detects low battery life or no battery at all. The icon does not change at all when the power cord is plugged in or not plugged in.

If anyone has any suggestions or similar issues I would greatly appreciate it.

2. andy840119

andy840119 Pen Pal - Newbie

i don't have this issue.
    but you can send your eee note to ASUS

3. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Try re-flashing your unit with the latest firmware. (It would be awesome if you flashed it with new CN_146_0326 fw - could tell us if it's good ;d)

If re-flashing doesn't help, then it will mean that it's most likely a hardware failure. (either battery itself, either power management chip? -- just guessing here...)

4. nyreader6

I formatted the internal card and then used the "UpdateClient.exe" and etablet.rom from the latest firmware to re-flash the device, but the same issue still occurs. Before that, I left the device on over night and throughout the day today to train the battery out completely, thinking that it might be a battery life calibration issue but apparently it wasn't.

I am at a loss for what to do next. Seeing as I bought the device from an ebay reseller and then took apart, I doubt I have any recourse from ASUS tech support for repair.

5. nyreader6

I just thought of something...

The detection of low/no battery is likely a software/firmware function. If there was someway to disable that in the firmware then, at a minimum, I could still use the eeeNote so long as I knew that I never let it go more than a few hours without a charge. If anyone has any experience with that sort of programming and might be able to point me in the right direction, it would be a great help.

6. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

I've encountered this type of problem with laptops. If for some reason your battery has gone below 10% or less it will start going into hibernation mode and won't let the battery charge above 10% or even less, which usually means the battery is unusable. Something to do with an internal memory in the battery itself, not the firmware.
    I've heard of a program that hardware developers use to refresh used-up batteries, cancelling the internal battery level so that they can be recharged again. However, I don't have one.
    I have discovered a trick with laptop batteries though. If you put the battery (not the laptop) in a freezer for 7 days, it will cancel the internal memory in the battery and let it charge again. I did this with my dead laptop battery and it started working again. However, in your case nyreader6, I would contact ASUS and see about getting a replacement unit.

7. Micha

Micha Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, nyreader6, you're not alone any longer... The battery display says 0%, even though the battery LED turned green. Damn it, this renders the device useless.

8. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

I guess the best think you could do is contact Asus costumer service and ask them for guidance.

9. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

random thought:
    try opening your device and disconnect battery, push reset button, and reconnect battery...
    if this doesn't help, then you'll probably have to wait until ether asus responds ether RomaVis releases his new kernel and hope that it will solve your problem (alternatively try pm'ing RomaVis, and ask him for help disabling power management daemon at boot)

10. nyreader6

It's been a while, but I will try what you mentioned eddy.

I contacted ASUS Tech Support for the USA region (where I am located), but they told me that since the product is not sold in this region, they cannot service it. I presume I am supposed to contact Taiwanese support and see what they have to say. Maybe I have low expectations, but I can't imagine that they will service it for free and/or with free shipping. What I would pay in shipping is likely money that is better spent putting towards a new tablet of some kind.

Best of luck to everyone with the same issue. Despite not seeking out tech support, I would like to be able to fix it myself. If anyone comes up with any remedies, please post them.