eee Note Toolchain (the easy way)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by maidenone, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muhali

Muhali Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, pb. I had just commented out this function and it still seemed to work.

An updated CuteNotes can be found here:

http://ubuntuone.com/12HEeKCqxgzan52ZpRCxWc

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. osowiecki

osowiecki Scribbler - Standard Member

3. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi osowiecki,

Download the Asus dictionary source from your and grab:
    libbottombar.a
    /eeenote_include

Then grab the file attached to this post to see how to integrate the app with the EeeNote.

I created the file to hold the primary code that needs to be inserted into your ported app in order to integrate it with the EeeNote.

Also have a look at these links:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/37789-asus-eee-note-peek-within-31.html#post229633
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/43943-eee-note-development-qcop-messaging.html

pb

Attached Files:

4. osowiecki

osowiecki Scribbler - Standard Member

5. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm trying to install the toolchain. I'm trying to follow the instructions on FreeeNote.org but when I try to
    Code:
    wget www.freeenote.org/downloads/devkit/eeenote-toolchain-i386
    I get a 404 Not Found error. Maybe the file has been moved/deleted/renamed? Suggestions welcome...

6. pbarrette

Hi BlacKnight,

It looks like mp035 recently updated the page and accidentally left off the file extension.
    The file is actually eeenote-toolchain-i386.deb

I have updated the page to reflect the correct file names.

pb

7. BlacKnight

Hi pb, thanks for fixing the link - it works now :)

Unfortunately, I have fallen at the next hurdle - when I do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i eeenote-toolchain-i386.deb
    I get version dependency errors.
    Code:
    Unpacking eeenote-toolchain (from eeenote-toolchain-i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of eeenote-toolchain:
     eeenote-toolchain depends on qtcreator (>= 2.1.0-0ubuntu2); however:
      Version of qtcreator on system is 1.3.1-1ubuntu1.1.
    dpkg: error processing eeenote-toolchain (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     eeenote-toolchain

I am running Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. So when I do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install qtcreator
    I get qtcreator version 1.3.1-1ubuntu1.1. :(

I guess I will have to figure out how to manually install qtcreator version 2.1.0-0ubuntu2 or later.

Edit: I tried manually installing qtcreator like this...
    Code:
    wget launchpadlibrarian.net/66130694/qtcreator_2.1.0-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i qtcreator_2.1.0-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    But I get a truck load of version dependency errors because all the libraries it depends on are also earlier versions on my system.

Do I really have to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 to get this stuff to work? :(

8. pbarrette

Hi BlacKnight,

I didn't create the install package, so you might want to send a PM to mp035 and see if he can change the dependency.

In the meantime, the original devkit tarball is still on the site here:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/devkit/ea800-devkit-ia32.tar.gz

And I created a separate one with Qt compiled from the Asus provided sources that enables you to write code for pressure sensitivity here:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/devkit/ea800-qtdevkit-pb.tar.gz

Both work the same. Extract directly to your root directory.

It helps to make the /opt/ea800-toolchain/ directory writable for all, since you may want to compile and install additional support libraries later.

It also helps to modify your profile, such that the "/opt/ea800-toolchain/bin/" directory is first in your path.

Then you'll have to update Qt Creator to reference your toolchain configuration, assuming you're compiling Qt apps with .pro files.

Finally, if you're building a reasonably modern package from source and they have provided a well formed "configure" script, you can build other code from source like this:
    Code:
    user@user-desktop:~/sqlite3$ ./configure -prefix=/opt/ea800-toolchain/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/sys-root  -host=arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi CFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -O3 -march=iwmmxt -mtune=iwmmxt -mabi=aapcs-linux -mfloat-abi=softfp -msoft-float"
    Hope this helps,
    pb

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  9. BlacKnight

Hi pb

Thanks very much for you help. It is much appreciated.

I've followed the quoted steps, but I don't seem to be able to launch (or even find) qtcreator. On the Ubuntu desktop I now have menu items for Applications|Programming|Qt 4 Assistant, Qt 4 Designer and Qt 4 Linguist but no sign of Qt Creator. But these might be left over from the previous installation, even though I thought I'd removed that! Edit: These WERE left behind when I removed the previous Qt Creator package - I've now removed all the orphaned packages (and resurrected my server, doh!).

If I search the file system I can't find any files that look like they might be the Qt Creator program.

Am I correct in thinking that the desktop application Qt Creator should have been in your ea800 toolchain archive? If so, what is the file called and where is it located?

...Or do I still need to apt-get install qtcreator?

...Or is there something else I have to do to install Qt Creator to the desktop once I've unpacked your toolchain archive?

Please excuse my dumb newbie questions - I usually develop for bare-metal embedded systems and don't have much Linux experience :(

10. pbarrette

Hi BlacKnight,

Qt Creator is not included in the toolchain archive. You'll have to install it separately using apt-get or the synaptic package manager.

The toolchain archive consists of two directory structures:

1] /opt/ea800-toolchain/

This directory contains the cross-compiler for ARM and the support libraries and headers that are required to compile and link binaries that will execute on the ARM processor.

If you look in the "/opt/ea800-toolchain/bin" directory, you will see "arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc", which is used in place of the normal, i386 "gcc" compiler. The directory also contains all of the other executables used for compilation, all prefaced with "arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-".

The directory tree also contains "/opt/ea800-toolchain/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/sys-root/" which is used as a stand-in for the root directory on the device itself. Any ARM compiled libraries, for example, should be installed to "/opt/ea800-toolchain/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/sys-root/lib" after compilation. When you place them on the device, they would go in "/lib/".

2] /usr/local/Trolltech/

This directory contains the Qt libraries and includes that have been compiled for an ARM processor. Apparently, Qt is referenced statically by path, so these libraries must reside in the same directory on both your development system and the EeeNote itself.

Once you have installed Qt Creator, you can open Tools->Options->Qt4 then create a manual configuration and point it to "/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/bin/qmake". I like Qt Creator 1.3.1 as well, since you can specify your manual configuration as the default. This means that any newly opened projects will automatically compile using the ARM compiler and Qt libraries. In newer versions (>=2), it automatically defaults to the host architecture compiler (i386, x64) and there is no option to change the default.

Instead, you have to manually change every project to use the compiler and configuration for the EA800 by clicking the "Projects" button, then the "Show details" button under the "General" section, then selecting the "Qt Version" drop-down. You have to do that for both the "Release" and "Debug" configurations. It tends to be a pain, so I really prefer 1.3.1.

pb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.