Eee Note Ported Applications and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by pbarrette, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

The following is a list of applications that have been ported to the Eee Note so far. The applications are available to be installed on your Eee Note using the Customizations Installer found here:
    FreeeNote.org

Language Interface Converter
    The Language Interface Converter is used to change the default language from Chinese to English or Italian.
    The .ts files are included in the Italian language pack because the Google Translation engine isn't a good substitute for my lack of understanding of the Italian language.

Telnet Server
    The Telnet server is included in the ASUS firmware image and enabled using the installer.

PhoneBook
    The PhoneBook application was provided in a very early English firmware available on the ASUS FTP site. The relevant files were extracted to be installed on newer firmware versions.

StarDict Dictionaries
    The Eee Note uses StarDict dictionary files for its Dictionary application. The Customizations installer allows you to add your own dictionaries to the Eee Note and provides the Russian dictionaries from the ASUS Russian firmware as a starting point.

Solitaire
    The Solitaire game was ported by mp035 to work on the Eee Note.
    The original source is here:
    https://projects.forum.nokia.com/solitaire

QConsole
    A console terminal application based on QTermWidget and ported for the Eee Note by mp035.

CuteExplorer
    A file explorer for the Eee Note ported by mp035.
    https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cuteexplorer

Lightweight2
    Lightweight2 is a simple, tabbed browser ported by vinillum for the Eee Note.
    Lightweight2 Qt-Apps.org

QNetwalk
    QNetwalk is a popular old game ported by mp035 for the Eee Note.
    http://qt.osdn.org.ua/qnetwalk.html

QMetrics
    QMetrics is a unit conversion application ported by pbarrette for the Eee Note.
    QMetrics at Qt-Apps.org
    The ported source code is available from here:
    FreeeNote.org

QTMail
    QTMail is an IMAP/POP/SMTP email client ported by pbarrette for the Eee Note which relies on the Qt Messaging Framework.
    QMF at Nokia Qt Labs
    The ported source code is available from here:
    FreeeNote.org

QComicBook
    QComicBook is a comic book reader ported by Adar for the Eee Note.
    QComicBook at Linux-Projects
    The ported source code is unavailable at this time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. pbarrette

This space reserved for installation instructions

pb

3. pbarrette

Hi all,

Adar completed his port of QComicBook a few days ago, but I have been too busy to get a new FullInstall release out.

The FullInstall has now been updated to include Adar's QComicBook port.

Sorry for the delay Adar.

pb

4. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi PB,

Thx for the update, I have some issues installing the added programs though.
    After choosing language + not installing the additional dictionaries the script stops and claims to be done.

Can you take a look at it.
    Thanks!

T_B

5. pbarrette

6. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks PB!

Your last dvt_check didn't fix it for me though.
    I deleted all the fancy stuff from your script and only kept what was necessary to copy the needed files to the eeenote. That worked and I have all additional programs installed again :)

So I guess there is still a bug in the script somewhere (at least for me).
    This is what happened:
    After rebooting the script started with "Converting language to English..." and after that it jumped to "Install additional dictionaries?"

I did a factory reset yesterday.

If you need more details, please let me know.

7. pbarrette

Hi T_B,

The factory reset explains it.

The dvt_check script won't ask to reinstall applications that already exist on your Eee Note unless those apps have been updated. All of the apps are installed on the system partition, while the menu entries for those apps are placed in the Config.xml file found in the user partition. The factory reset leaves the system partition intact, but reformats the user partition.

So the dvt_check script found the apps still located on your system partition, but the launcher didn't show them because menu entries existed in a file on the user partition.

I'm not quite sure how to handle this at the moment.. I'm going to have to write a separate function that checks to see if the various apps have been installed, then check the launcher menu for an entry for that app and add one if it's not present.

There's a couple of outlier cases I can think of that could make this prospect rather painful to implement correctly. It's starting to make mp035's package manager project look like the best solution for these problems.

pb

8. maneex

maneex Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a cross compile of the FTP daemon 'vsftpd'. Nothing modified, directly used the 2.3.4 sources.

Installation :
    1) copy the given vsftpd.conf to /etc
    2) create a /var/run/vsftpd directory
    3) run vsftpd
    4) Enjoy.

NOTE: No security ! So, beware not to erase everything :) I guess we should provide a "secured" vsftpd.conf only allowing to modify things in eTablet/
    NOTE: After uploading new books in the /eTablet/var/ebook a Settings / Scan Media operation is required.

Thanks for all your great job !

Attached Files:

9. Hiperblade

Hiperblade Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm not very skilled in shell programming but I made a script ispired by dvt_check of pbarrette.

HyperNote.rar - 7.3 MB (Update 2) see the next post

The script named "HyperNote" provide a manager of third-party packages and a start menù manager

In the archive is present the "HyperNoteSDK" directory that contains example to create package and library

I have port packages present in the FullInstall.zip (by pbarrette) and I wrote the uninstall rutine (I hope no errors ;) )

@ pbarrette if you want can add this script to your site FreeeNote.org and edit it
    the Utilities tab collect the language utility, telnet, etc.

I hope it is helpfull, bye

PS. this script need testing

edit: update file rar
    edit2: sorry I fix some error

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. Hiperblade

Hiperblade Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.