Eee Note Language Selection

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by pbarrette, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi All,

Thanks to l1q1d, I was able to obtain the translation files for the Italian Eee Note. Because of this, I was able to combine the Chinese translation files from the latest firmware version with the Italian files from the older, Italian firmware.

The result is that the current, Chinese firmware can be used in the Italian language.

I have also changed the way the FullInstall script handles language selection. A menu is now presented which allows you to chose between English and Italian. You can also cancel the language selection, which leaves your current language in place.

I have added the .TS translation files to the FullInstall package as well. I don't know any Italian, so the entire translation was done with a combination of the original Italian firmware files and Google based machine translation.

If you discover that a translation is incorrect, please look at the files in /install/language/IT/IT.tar.gz. The .TS files are simple XML files which contain the source and translated text. If you make corrections, please send me a copy of the corrected .TS files so I can compile them into the required .QM file and update the FullInstall package.

Hopefully, this will allow the Italian Eee Note users to update to the latest firmware without sacrificing the Italian interface.

I have also done a basic German translation, but it is not yet included in the FullInstall.

pb

2. l1q1d

l1q1d Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much but how to force the firmware update?

3. adar

adar Pen Pal - Newbie

hi all,
    When I porting the QComicBook

If I use following code I would got the result "qt_C"
    "qt_" + QLocale::system().name()

That mean "QLocale::system().name()" == "C"

my locale should be "zh_TW"

And even I change the language as "English" via the "ASUS orginal Setting Menu", I got the "C". So I can only modify the locale int the source cdoe by manual.

Anyone know what's wrong?

4. pbarrette

5. pbarrette

Oops..

I broke the FullInstall package's ability to properly convert the language from Chinese to English or Italian.

I had never noticed that the "sys.config" file was actually in DOS format [CRLF] instead of unix format [LF], so when I altered the sed script to allow for the Italian install, I was assuming unix based line endings.

The script worked fine on my Eee Note because I had made so many changes on my device that the "sys.config" file had been converted to unix format.

I just reloaded the firmware on my Eee Note and discovered this problem, so I have now corrected it and uploaded a fixed version of the FullInstall package. The only thing that has changed is the dvt_check script.

In reloading the firmware on my Eee Note, I have successfully tested a newly discovered way to force the Eee Note into its firmware update mode which doesn't require opening it up to get to the internal SD card. I will post instructions on that sometime soon.

pb

6. Fax92

Fax92 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi pbarrette

This is my very first post, and I still don't have a eeeNote, but i'm italian, so I can help you translate the files.
    Can you post (or send me by email) the original English version?
    I can post you back the correct traslation.

7. TheTwo

TheTwo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi pb,

have you had the time to write a short description about how to force the firmware update without opening the Eee Note? Because I need my Eee Note, I will not open it and risk a damage. However, the new features in the new firmware sound very interesting to me. It would be really great to have the TW version of the firmware because the IT version doesn't get updates.

The Two

8. l1q1d

l1q1d Pen Pal - Newbie

i contacted the italian support site and the answer to "Quando verrà rilasciato un update?" (when a firmware update will be release) has a simple answer "Non ci sono aggiornamenti in piano in questo momento" (no update are planned now).

I updated the tablet with the tw version but i have open the tablet (5 minutes).

9. pbarrette

Hi l1q1d,

I live in Huntsville, Alabama in the USA. Our area just had several tornadoes come through our area on Wed, 27-Aug. The power has been out across the entire region, and I had a lot of work to do at my office to rescue our servers.

I apologize for the delays on this project, but it may be a few more days before I can contribute to the work on the Eee Note.

pb

10. gallochri

gallochri Pen Pal - Newbie

Files to be translated are in the folder FullInstall/install/language/IT/.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.