Edge is Dead, Long Live Edge?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dellaster, Oct 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After the aborted Linux test on my ThinkPad I had to reinstall Windows 10, 2004 version, since that was the only ISO Microsoft provides. It comes with the old Edge browser and I was fine with that—I basically only go online with my desktop replacement to look up & download stuff that I’ve already decided on via search & research on my iPad or iPhone. Otherwise it’s 100% offline.

Today I needed to download the Bethesda Launcher in order to install Skyrim SE’s Creation Kit (to create and edit game mods). The site came up blank in Edge no matter how I approached it, typing in bethesda.net or using a link from a search or an article, no page on the site would be visible even though they finished loading.

Strange. I figured the site was having issues so I waited an hour before trying again. Same deal. Tried in Safari on my iPad... and it came up visible, no problem. Hmm. I didn’t have Chrome or any other browser since, as mentioned, the only use I have for a browser on the ThinkPad is to go to a pre-determined download, get it, then close. So I let Windows upgrade me to the new Chromium-based Edge. And Bethesda’s site works perfectly fine with it.

I’m sure it has nothing to do with Microsoft having just bought Bethesda (its parent company) and the fact that they want us all to dump the old Edge in favor of the new one. Right?

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really love inking in the old edge browser and don't understand why they can't replicate that in the new edge.

Sent from my CPH1943 using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahh, it did disappear. I clung to IE for a long time (in my mind every new iteration is about them, not us) so I didn't use Edge much, but I did notice those inking features. Now I have the newest version and was wondering where that feature was hiding. It isn't hiding, it has been extinguished.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Maybe if enough of us give MS feedback we want it they will included it in new edge?

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's a simple regedit tweak to keep the legacy and the chromium edge. However, it needs to be done before the stable Chromium edge is installed. I can vouch it works.
    Tried it on my new SB2.

Sent from my CPH1943 using Tapatalk

WillAdams, desertlap and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dang I wish I'd caught that before my personal systems got updated. I really liked the older Edge's ability to read epub files.!