Eco-Friendly!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KlickSter123, Jan 28, 2019.

1. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here is passionate about using eco-friendly items to replace the usual stuff you use. What have you replaced in the past years to be more eco-friendly?

Here's mine:
    1. Metal straws
    2. Cloth grocery bags
    3. Tupperwares instead of cling wraps
    4. Shampoo bars
    5. Washable facial cloths instead of cotton
    6. Composite Decking instead of new wood (here's a small background about this if you don't know anything about it yet: https://www.dinodecking.co.uk/blog/composite-decking-manufactured/)
    7. No more paper towels in the kitchen, only dishcloths
    8. Biodegradable trash bags

My goal is to add more items to this list this year.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would love to replace my deck with composite. It's just cost-prohibitive.

I wonder about metal straws. Paper over plastic.

We use cloth grocery bags here (my state is about to ban single use plastic bags) but paper bags would be better than plastic.

I also wonder about dishcloths over paper towels. You have to wash cloth and paper is far safer when it comes to transmittable contaminants.

KlickSter123 and WillAdams like this.
  3. KlickSter123

Yeah, I know of many who started from paper bags and then eventually transitioned to cloth bags.

For the straws, I like metal ones because you can jus throw it in the dishwasher and use it again. Would really love to minimize trash, even paper that they use for straws.

Good point on the dishcloths. That's why I make sure to disinfect the cloths I was before re-using them again.

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I cloth diapered 3 babies. What do I win?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

3 very lucky children - having nothing to do with the diapers, but good on you - it's been 24 years, but I couldn't do it then and I don't think I could now. Glad that time has come and gone, though I do love babies. At 63, I think my baby-raising days are safely in the rear view mirror, as are the diaper genies.

Off-off topic: @violajack , it's time for an update on your top 3 current devices (I know the Yoga 930 e-ink is one; make it top 4.) Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

KlickSter123 likes this.
  6. violajack

Funny you should mention that. I just yesterday picked up a thinkpad x61s for $25. I'm typing on it now. It's stupidly thin and light for something of the era that still has the classic keyboard, although the large battery probably doubles the weight of the machine. I upped the RAM, put an SSD in and it's running Ubuntu just fine for a browsing toy. And is sure is comfy typing out long forum replies on this keyboard.

It's also not entirely off topic as I think keeping classic thinkpads in service and out of the e-waste stream could be considered eco-friendly.

As such, I consider the T420s to be my primary laptop at the moment. My oldest kid gets the x300 for one of his homeschooling websites, but still uses a Samsung Tab a 9.7 with s-pen. The T60 with SXGA+ screen, which I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo for $7 (thanks ebay!) is my primary Ubuntu playground, and this new little one rounds out the collection nicely.

The Yogabook c930 gets the microSD card with my digital hoard on it, and that's the machine I'll grab if I'm going out or want to write stuff. I've used the eInk screen quite a bit as scratch paper in laptop mode with the LCD displaying the information I'm working with.

My old Galaxy note 4 is hanging in there, even though I'd like to upgrade, there's nothing I want at a price point I'm willing to pay just yet. Although the Note 8s are coming close.

My cheapness is also one of the main reasons I cloth diaper - diapers are expensive. And then you just throw them away. Also, you have to go out and buy them. I'm going to get new diapers by just opening my dryer, which actually just finished a load of diapers while I was typing this. Also, cloth diapers are really cute. Although, I will certainly be happy when this last child is out of them.

We use microfiber cloths in the kitchen to replace most of our paper towel use, but there are still some things I prefer to wipe up and throw away. My main cleaning solution is just the old bottle of blue dawn dish soap filled with water for a very diluted soap solution. That with a microfiber towel will clean almost anything in the house.

KlickSter123 likes this.
  7. KlickSter123

Got a friend with a Note 4 -- screen is cracked, a bit slow, but it still serves its purpose for her.

I don't have a kid, so I can't really relate with the diaper thing. Although my first thoughts on cloth diapers is... what a pain to wash!

Thumbs up on the diluted soap solution, I do that too!

8. violajack

On the diaper front, I have a washing machine, so it's just pushing buttons and walking away. Diapers go in their own load, and the diaper cycle takes a little longer than clothing laundry, but again - push buttons, walk away. It's only a few extra loads a week.

Fun fact: when I'm not here, I'm hanging out on a mom forum in a group specifically for cloth diapering. We rarely talk about diapers anymore, as most of us have been at it long enough to not have questions anymore. Some ladies don't even have kids in diapers anymore, but the community is already in place and they're sticking around. There has been a Going Green To Save Some Green check in going off and on there for a while. A lot of those ladies are into canning and many have their own chickens. There was a long discussion about unpaper towels and family cloth (we stop at diapers, not getting into family cloth here) a while back. Of course, we also talk about non-disposable ways to deal with lady things, but I figured that wouldn't be a very popular discussion over here.

KlickSter123 likes this.
  9. violajack

My classic thinkpad collection just gained a unicorn! I "rescued" an X61t with the SXGA+ screen. It has zero bubbles (a common issue with the glue used to bond the display). I've missed it ever since I sold the last one I had years ago. I'm having a lot of fun playing with it.

The most recent post about these fine machines in the actual Lenovo forum was from 2015, so this seems the most appropriate place to put this.

DRTigerlilly and KlickSter123 like this.
  10. KlickSter123

That's enlightening. It seems like cloth diapers aren't that much of a trouble after all. Thanks. Keeping this in mind for the future.

Yeah, that's why I'm always happy to find anyone who tries going green in any type of forum...especially tech ones like here.