eBook (ePub) reader touch friendly

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by Jinius, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The developer hangs out at Mobileread, there is a whole section devoted to Calibre and he is exceptionally responsive.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont see anything there about a new reader. Just updates to the exisiting one which has been there for quite awhile. I'm still waiting for a nice, full-featured windows 8 reader that can read calibre's library without having to jump through a bunch of OPDS hoops. Calibre's reader is fine in a pinch, but not what I want to use for my everyday reading. Using Book Bazzar now (does ePub and pdf, annotations, highlights, etc.) and trying to get it to work with with the OPDS libraries I made from Calibre.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got BB working against my OPDS library over the internet...it's the best on Win8 but unfortunately still several features shy of my favorite on iOS: Marvin. Marvin syncs bookmarks across devices, let's you back up your annotations and full library to Dropbox, and allows you to send full books (with annotations) out, not just import them. Hopefully in time these features will be added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaekqubp likes this.
  4. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

is your OPDS catalog in the form of an .xml file? when I point BB to the xml file created by calibre2opds it just gives an error

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I point it to the opds link itself. http://domain.com/opds However, downloading each book fails in Book Bazaar.

6. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have put my Calibre library in my OneDrive, installed Calibre and use the reader to read the books which are synced on my tablet via OneDrive... I tried that OPDS stuff, but it just didn't work for me.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nook released an update over the past couple days that now does a far better job with imported books. It actually now pulls the cover from the epub file. I still prefer Book Bazaar, but Nook is definitely getting better.

8. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I went crazy last night with comparing various offerings. As with my current plight choosing a fitness band, there is no shortage of options but they all lack features that make them excel. Note that for me annotation is a big plus.

Freda: slow, terrible UI but good epub rendering. You can back up your library but can't share annotations beyond the app.

Book Bazaar: great if you like to annotate (I share mine to a onenote folder when finished reading a book). Also very fast and efficient. But font sizes and page breaks seem to be the least accurate of the bunch. I especially hate the inconsistent page breaks around chapters.

Nook: actually really good and fast. However while you can annotate you can do nothing with those annotations. They don't sync, you can't share.

Overdrive Media Console: I keep this installed because it works with my city's library and does audiobooks well. However it has no ability to annotate. Bookmark sync across multiple devices works great though, and rendering is accurate. Big downer: you can't scrub through your book; you can only jump by page or chapter or go directly to a %.

Want to see a real quality ebook app? Check out Marvin on iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaekqubp and JoeS like this.
  9. frances

frances Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    EPUB eBook creator is a powerful creator that is designed for providing you with the easiest solution to build your own EPUB eBooks. You can personalize the new eBook. It helps to built eBooks from any other formats in few clicks.

MePub Builder - Creates EPUB eBooks

10. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Calibre {Manaer/ Organizer/ Cleanser} and Marvin {Reader, Highlighter, Quote} are perfect with each other. We just need to port Marvin to Win 8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.