Ebay Woes (Long read)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sentetsu, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sentetsu

sentetsu Pen Pal - Newbie

So I'm not sure if I should post this here or somewhere else on this forum, or if there's even a point but I'm at a loss for what to do and need some advice. If you don't feel like reading the whole thing then just skip to the last couple paragraphs as they contain my questions.

I found a ebay seller with a 99.2% positive rating, they were selling at a good price so I purchased a tx2500z from them on Nov. 23rd.

I contacted the seller immediately after having purchased it, telling them to message me when they were going to be shipping it. I got a message on the 25th saying the tracking number would be posted into paypal at the time of shipment and I wasn't exactly clear what was meant by that but anyways, later that day I received another message stating the laptop had shipped.

I checked my paypal twice over the next few days and no new information had been entered in.. no tracking information given.. not even a reference number. So on the 28th I contacted them again and on the 29th I received a message stating that due to the holiday rush, all orders are delayed and that they would check with the shipping department on Monday (That just sounds... not right to me?) and that due to my bank account not being verified and me not being a us-paypal user it would delay the order. (My bank account isn't verified but my address is confirmed and this was using a credit card, not any banking info?)

I responded on Dec 1st stating that I was confused because they had said last Tuesday it had shipped and that it had taken 4 days to give me a tracking number. I also asked if they were saying it hadn't shipped yet and why they hadn't informed me. I then received this later that day:
    the item was shipped via expedited service today.

the shipment was ready to be shipped on Tuesday but UPS didn't make their regular pick up and this is why the order didn't ship.
    The shipping label was changed from Ground shipment to expedited and therefore the item will be delivered as if it was shipped via Ground Service on Tuesday.
    We have also lowered the value of the shipment so that your Customs fee will be lower.
    Thank you

So then I thought "Great, they made up for it and it should be here just in time for me to finish that project" But alas, it what not to be so. 4 days go by (expedited shipping to Canada takes roughly 2 days-3 days depending on customs) and still nothing. So on the 5th I send another message asking if I could get a tracking number or at least a reference number. Later that day, I receive this:

Dear Customer,
    Please accept our sincere apologies in regards to the delay.
    At the time of shipment we have discovered that the laptop was damaged. It was accidentally damaged prior to the shipping preparation but after the item was already listed for sale. it's at the time of shipment we discovered that the item was damaged.
    We have ordered a replacement and as soon as it arrives it will be shipped to you.
    However, if you prefer not to wait we can issue a refund.
    Again, please accept our sincere apologies and please let us know whether you would like to wait or if you prefer to cancel and get a refund.
    Thank you
    Customer Service Department

So I responded today saying I didn't understand why I'd have to wait for a replacement as the exact same item was just relisted (At an increased cost too, 200$ more) a few days prior so they must obviously have a few extras in stock and what the e.t.a on this "replacement" would be. And now I have to wait till Monday or possibly later for a response :S

Now, this has been my first time using ebay, I'm not sure if my expectations were unrealistic or whatever but this all sounds alittle odd to me, especially because they're an ebay seller trying to sound like an actual business and the relisting days after my purchase and then another relisting at a higher price a day before this "incident" with the laptop being damaged prior to shipment.

I understand they are offering me a refund but seriously, another laptop at the same specs and same price is going to cost ATLEAST a few hundred dollars more not including shipping and I'd have to wait for the refund to come through as I don't have enough credit to do this again till then. It just seems alittle odd that I'd be this unlucky.

Now my questions for anyone with ebay experience are: Should I just take the refund, and does this seem fishy or legitimate to you?

Also, if anyone could recommend a good seller and/or listing to me that'd be great. I'm currently going through the listings every day but everything that comes close to the price and specs of the original listing has a somewhat bad refund policy which just seems like a red flag to me.

Again, sorry if this seems like a stupid thing to be asking here.

2. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

Fishy... Fishy... Fishy!
    I would be surprised if you ever see a refund, or a new tablet. I suggest that you immediately give this story to PayPal (and eBay, because of the reposting), and leave some negative feedback pronto (and if it does go well in the end, retract it). That's just too convenient for all of these scenarios to take place.

It's a sad fact of the world, but scammers are everywhere. If you could, post a link to the relisting.

3. sentetsu

Thanks for the response :)

I'm still not sure if it is or not as they have over 1170 sales and only 3 negative feedbacks. The seller is verified by paypal though so that's another reason I'm not too sure. I did happen to find a listing that has the same laptop but 150 gigs less hard drive space but an extra gig of ram but it'll be about 100 dollars more including shipping.

Here's the links to both the one I purchased and the second relisting:

Mine:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220304028963

Relisting:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...o=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4

I'll wait to see what you have to say based on that before I make a decision. I have to wait till Monday anyways and I'll still be within the window to make a claim through paypal by then and it is guaranteed by paypal.

Again if I'm just being naive and missing something feel free to give me a cyber-reality slap across the face. :)

4. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

GEt the refund. New deals appear all the time. If they do refund you then you may choose to shop with them again in the future.

Gordon

5. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

You'll get your refund from the seller or Paypal, but the seller (who is probably guilty as hell of getting greedy after the fact), will get off without being punished. A similar thing happened to me with a cellphone purchase. Won the auction at a great price, but the seller "could not find" the phone - until it posted it in a new auction a couple days later.

I went throught the trouble of filing a complaint and everything, but the process is made to wear the buyer out and make him go away. eBay is paid by the sellers so it takes a very flagrant series of rules/ethics breaches to make eBay an enforcer.

I'd just file for a refund with Paypal and search for another computer. eBay seems to work only if the buyer and seller are satisfied with the price before AND after the transaction.

6. sentetsu

Thanks for the responses guys.

I asked for a refund earlier today and got a message back tonight (Sunday) saying they apologize and a refund will be processed tomorrow. Of course they didn't respond to any of my other questions I had asked them. :/

I think I found a much better seller, we'll wait and see though.

Thanks again everyone.

7. neogen

neogen Pen Pal - Newbie

After getting the refund.. you should and you must leave them a -ve or neutral feedback..

8. sentetsu

So, an interesting thing happened when I checked my paypal this morning to see the status of my dispute.. they posted all the tracking info into paypal today finally and stated they had shipped it on the 1st and that UPS was waiting for me to come get it. I tracked the package and it turns out it's been sitting there waiting for 3 days now. :/

I responded saying that's odd because according to your previous messages on ebay, it was broken and couldn't be shipped?

I talked to UPS and am going to pick it up tonight/tomorrow morning and if it isn't factory sealed or if anything is even remotely wrong with it.. I'm getting a refund :/

9. hitodenashi

hitodenashi Pen Pal - Newbie

Any new developments?
    It would be fun if you got the tablet and the refund :D

10. sentetsu

Okay, so the last few days have been even more frustrating as my package is quite possibly anywhere between a 10 to 60 minute drive away from me.

UPS can't tell me exactly where to pick up my package as there aren't any UPS places anywhere near me and it's been contracted out to someone on behalf of UPS through Purolator. (They can't directly ship it to me as I use a Box and have a rural address.)

I would have the package routed somewhere else but they won't do that until they've had a failed delivery attempt supposedly.

I called them yesterday afternoon around 12:30pm and they sent a message through to have Purolator get the people the package was contracted out to to give me a call as to where I could pick it up and was told I'd get a call by the end of the day. It was not to be so.

So today I waited till noon to see if they would call me this morning, again.. no phone call.

I called them back and being told that UPS has no way of telling me where my laptop is as they can only tell me the location of the UPS warehouse that it went out to Purolator from, which is located in a city roughly 2 hours away.
    They went ahead and put it through again to have them call me back and put the tagline ASAP on there (lol) and told me the case wasn't closed so that means they hadn't attempted to call me yet.

Now the one positive is the seller actually called me long distance and left a message to call back to let him know what was going on with the package. When I called back he didn't answer but immediately called back. (I had just closed my cell phone to hang up the first call as he called)

He had a thick accent and was a little hard to understand and he told me to keep him posted through ebay as to what was happening and if I had any problems with the laptop or if I needed anything on his end to give him a call or message him and then he said "I won't leave you high and dry". It was quite a refreshing surprise to say the least.

Now there are 2 likely locations the package is at.. either the post office which is 10 minutes away... or in a somewhat nearby town that has Grey Hound/Purolator depo.. Neither of which I can directly call to get information on my package.

So it's been almost 2 and a half weeks since my order was placed.. If the seller didn't require a confirmed address I would've just had it shipped to either my girlfriends address or my mother's business address.

*sigh* I really wish my Alienware didn't fry so atleast I could be using that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.