Easy way to Share Outlook Calendar?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bronsky, May 11, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Is there? On a basic wireless network? OneDrive?

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Bronsky

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Hey Bronsky,

Is this a personal web (Outlook.com, etc.), personal local or Exchange Calendar? If it is Outlook.com it is shared via a URL...Local would need to be exported and Exchange based should be easy to share if allowed by Exchange Policy.

5. Bronsky

My secretary keeps the calendar on her computer, which we have just updated to W8.1 and Office 13. We have a simple wireless network and a Verizon modem/router. I want to have her send it to me or make it available to me in some fashion so I can import it into my Outlook on the S3 and my phone if possible. Can you point me to some simple instructions?

6. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. Bronsky

It's not being coy as much as ... um ... dumb and uninformed? I did try to use the share calendar function that I read about online but the share button is not active on our outlook. We have never used outlook much in our office. We have just upgraded to office 2013 across the board. Thanks for the links.

8. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem, it's mostly that without information it's difficult to try to help.

By the way, I don't know much about the subject! I just use Outlook and Outlook Web App all the time but my IT deprtament takes care of it all.

There are basically three types of Outlook and you may (or may not) need to look into each of them. There's the Outlook software itself, the recently updated and quite excellent web-based Outlook Web App OWA (it used to really suck but now I use it all the time to access my Outlook account and calendar on computers that don't have Outlook installed), and there is also Outlook.com (which I think is what Hotmail has merged into). The sharing possibilities/permissions may or may not be the same with all of these (I don't know).

According to the info in the links below, if your Share button is greyed out, it may be that your type of system/network is not supported. I think (I'm not sure) you need to be on Microsoft Exchange Server:

https://support.office.com/en-za/ar...-Web-App-7ecef8ae-139c-40d9-bae2-a23977ee58d5

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...alendars/b04e1116-b573-4a1b-b16f-74026b4a6ca5

Maybe you can also look into the two other alternatives here (such as sharing through Outlook.com):
    https://support.office.com/en-au/ar...r-people-cafb9303-1b1e-40d3-839d-b6abac03a5e8

There are also commercial solutions if you are not on Microsoft Exchange Server:
    http://www.officecalendar.com/products/share-outlook.aspx?gclid=CMaKvtXlv8UCFYaTfgod2qwA0A

Maybe other here will have better suggestions!

9. Bronsky

Thanks. The video link you provided was very helpful. I'm sure we can use the email method but an online version sounds interesting. Thanks again.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Sounds like the calendar is local to your legal secretary, she would need to export it and email you the attachment.

Have you looked into Office 365? :) I have an E3 subscription for my family, it gives us Exchange, SharePoint, Skype for Business and 1 TB of OneDrive for Business, its about $13/month per person with a 5 person minimum... so $65/month for us.