E-bay offer

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Person, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazdrovje

Nazdrovje Pen Pal - Newbie

Any thoughts about e-bay object 6842178348, a HP Compaq TC4200 Laptop Notebook Tablet PC Computer Includes Multibay II Device & DVDRW 1.73 GHz.1GB RAM for $1699?

Cheers,

Naz

2. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

well the only things that bother me is that
    #1 it never comments on whether or not it's refurbished.
    #2 it falsely says it is only 3.1 lb.... actually around 4.5-4.7
    #3 says standard warranty is 1 year, when it actually should be 3 years parts/labor (at least for US anyway it varies).

but they do have very good feedback in french and spanish as well as english? so I guess they're international huh?

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

If it says the warranty is 1 year the odds are it is refurb. HPs warranty on refurb is 1 year. But the key to any eBay purchase is always buy from a reputable seller. In this case I can tell you I had very good luck with them. I purchased my HP through them as well. It is refurb (it is at the bottom of the page, a bit tacky.) I'm not sure of the price difference if you purchased a similar LT added a Gig of RAM and a multibay drive (there are non HP drives like LaCie that you can get for $99 that work great) then subtracted $129 (his cost to upgrade to 3 years P&L).

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm with Daring on this one. You might save a couple hundred bucks through this seller, but the "one year" warranty is quite odd. The TC4200 is supposed to be a "three year warranty" when purchased through HP authorized resellers.

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

Barry, I realized I wasn't clear in my previous post. The seller does state that the unit is refurbished, hence the 1 year warranty.

To determine if it is a good deal you'd need to do an apples to apples comparison.

6. Nazdrovje

If I look for prices in the Netherlands, where I live, I get the following:

HP COMPAQ TC4200 P-M 740 (1.73) CENTRINO 40GB (5.4K) WLAN B/G BT 1X512MB XPT 12.1-INCH XGA (couldn't find a 60GB/1.73GHz combination) @ €1800

60 GB would be about € 250 more

Multibay device € 100?
    DVD/CD-RW € 228

512 MB €105

So I get a total of €2483 or about US$ 3215.

eBay would cost me US$ 2142 (shipping + VAT), so I save $1000, but yeah it may potentially be unused, or if your not lucky, refurbished (how bad is that?) and both 1 year warranty. Difficult, difficult...

[Edit] Actually, I should compare US prices with US prices to evaluate this offer. On the HP site this configuration would cost me about $2300 (1.8GHz -$65 ) compared to $1700 on ebay. Add $129 for the 3yr warranty and the gap is closing. It is still $500 or so.

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

There has been a fair amount of discussion on these forums about buying refurbished equipment. This is my first machine that I ever bought refurbished and I have no regrets. I saved about $300-$400 over a similarly equipped machine (including a 3 year parts & labor warranty). That extra money afforded me the accidental coverage warranty and DVD drive (I bought a LaCie). After all was said and done I had a better machine then I could have afforded without it being refurbished.

The machine came flawless, no defects whatsover (not even a dead pixel or scratch). If it is HP refurb they also put in a new battery and power supply. Many of the "refurb" machines were never even used. They were purchased in large lots and then not used, so they were returned for resale, but can't be sold as new.

Bottom line, I would do it again. My machine looks and acts just like new. The extra money in my pocket didn't hurt either. The bottom line here is the same, make sure the seller is willing to stand behind the sale and has good ratings. If so you really don't have much more to worry about then any retail sale.

8. Nazdrovje

Thanks Daring. You've tilted the balance strongly towards a buy refurb decision.

I'm still doing a lot of soul-searching. I have owned computers for over 25 years, buying a new one on average every three years (commodore vc-20, C-64, Amiga 500, mac cx, mac 7200, mac G3, a no-name PII, a dell p4 2.53 GHz with an ATI 9700 pro). I also own a second-hand fujitsu stylistic 3400 that I bought to be part of a car-navigation system.

Every system that I bought was more powerful than the previous or had more features than the previous one and I eagerly await the time I allow myself to buy a new one.

Now that I am heavily considering buying a tablet as my next system, I hesitate. I can buy tablets that are more powerful than my current desktop system (but not by a wide margin) but these come with terrible drawbacks. They are either heavy, gigantic, hot, have a short battery time, or are prohibitatively expensive. Large screens are probably clumsy in meetings, and a loud fan will surely annoy me (if not embarrass me by pointing me out as the geek of the meeting).

On the other hand, with the more modest tablets, I'm not sure whether 1024x768 is going to work for me. It's probably 6 years ago that I worked at that resolution. It's really a step back. I also like the occasional FPS game and it would be nice if I could use my tablet for that. But perhaps I should dedicate my desktop for gaming and forget gaming on the tablet.

One of the things that draws me to the tablet platform is the vision of the notebook+. My paper notebooks are a mess, I lose half of my notes because I jot them down on the flip sides of trashed prints. Keeping together related things is very difficult. Really, OneNote (and MindManager) made me consider the tablet. I want a tablet because I like this software. I feel that the tc4200 fits this vision. It is a discreet system, reasonably fast in 2D, has a long battery life etc. What I really dislike is the lack of an optical drive, but I could learn to live with the occasional drive hook-up, I guess.

But still, I find making the decision very hard and Brian writing about that enigmatic system he's evaluating under an NDA doesn't make life any easier. Should I wait or not? And then the M400, o la la... People, help me out!

Cheers,

Naz

9. Person

Person Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought my TC4200 from these same exact guys, although I got the 2.0 ghz model for $1799.
    I just got my TC4200 in TODAY from these guys.

These guys are good guys and are in the business to make you happy. I talked with them a couple of times while buying this tablet. Notice how the auctions have a "best offer" thing on them? Thats cause they are willing to make a deal with ya. All you have to do is call them.

I got a sweet deal on mine. Got like $100 and also got them to throw in the 3 year warranty.

Yes, these are referbs. From what the guy said, most of these never touch a persons hands. they are returns from big corporate buys. Now, who knows how true that is or not, but the one that I got is in GREAT condition.

So basially, I am lookin at this $2400 computer that I paid $1700 for with a 3 year warranty.. Part of the orginal deal was for 2 day shipping. They screwed up and shipped it 3 day instead. No biggie, but I did send an email saying that it was no big deal, but it was part of the deal. I didnt really care if they were going to do anyting for me or not, just wanted to make them aware. The next day they refunded $20 of the $40 shipping charges.

Just call them on the phone. You will quickly learn that are good guys..

No, I dont work for these guys at all, I am just one HAPPY CUSTOMER :D
    Many times all we do is bash business on the net, well here is one that I recommend.

10. Person

Person Pen Pal - Newbie

"#1 it never comments on whether or not it's refurbished. "

Taken from the auction.

"Some of our units belong to large corporate orders that were modified or canceled once the machines left the factory, which is why we are able to get them so cheap when we buy in bulk. In this case they cannot be relabeled as new and they receive the refurbished nomenclature even though the machines were never powered up. In some cases they may be part of a larger shipment that was returned after just a few weeks of use. In that case they are re-tested, re-certified and repackaged. We usually get an assortment from completely new machines to refurbished ones. We do not have an easy way to find out which ones were never touched and which ones were powered on and re-certified later. "

Also.

"#3 says standard warranty is 1 year, when it actually should be 3 years parts/labor (at least for US anyway it varies)."

I am guessing that its only a 1 year because it is considered "refurbished". Even if these computers came back to HP brand new and never touched, they can never be sold as "New" again. So, they probably write it off as best they can and sell them anyways. Computers in the US are very overpriced anyways. They are so much over priced becaue they expect you to break it and then have them repair it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.