DynaPad 12" (1920×1280) Win10 - $650 pre-order

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by thatcomicsguy, Jan 2, 2016.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

That's a bit of shame seeing as Toshiba was know for quality audio when it came to their mp3 players.

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

As you can now see, I live and die with one note. Having gone completely paperless has been quite beneficial for me. No longer do I look for notes that I have written a week ago, I just search.

As far as this unit goes... I have already returned it. The sound is absolute rubbish on this machine. I was playing some music through groove player and it sounded horrendous.

The max volume is really low. The only positive about this unit is the digitizing. I tried using the art program that comicsguy suggested, and i found it to be acceptable. No lag, and there was good pressure sensitivity.

I think for me, atom is never going to be an option that is a long term solution. I think my companion fanless device will be a Core M.

The rubberized backing feels nice to hold, but overall not worth the $500-600. Depending on edu discount.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We were debating the expected performance a few pages back, and basically came to the conclusion it would about as powerful as Atom 3740D found in many of the 2014 8" tablets such as the VivoTab Note 8.

If it's just for browsing and note-taking, my VTN8 performs admirably--quite an excellent balance of features actually. I can't imagine that the DynaPad N72 could be worse, could it?

4. soh5

Cant be worse. It performs about as well as a VTN8 tbh. I owned that before my pen was not responsive to the screen.

It is incredibly light, but as far as sound goes, wow I have not heard anything worse than this in quite some time.

It was really dissapointing.

5. Marty

If you bought it primarily for note-taking, sound wouldn't be that much an issue, would it? Or is there another use case you were hoping for with the N72?

6. soh5

With it being a Cherry Trail I was expecting a little less lag in one note. When I am writing notes fast, I have noticed that it will vector or not register a few strokes.

This is a real big annoyance for me, I use my notes to study from, but also when I present data to my PI, we go over the data and notes in one note together. Last on my list is the fact that I prepare notes for my lectures. I really do not want to double proof read to make sure the Dynapad did not miss any of my strokes, theres even eraser lag. This kills the immersion aspect of a product like this for me.

Perhaps this is why the only PC that fit the bill for me past the Clover Trail atom Thinkpad Tablet 2 was the Surface Pro 3.

Sound is a big deal when this is the only thing I have to bring to my office or lab and cant plug in head phones while I am doing cell culture work. I have to maintain clean operating protocol while working so we usually have our music players playing through out speakers, or worst case scenario... turn on that ugly ass FM radio.

Don't get me wrong, as a note book alone its OK there are some hang ups in OneNote, the digitizer is fantastic. This is probably the best iteration of the AES system I have used (better than Lenovo and Dell by miles)... but sound shouldn't be this bad. I can forgive the lack of ports because it is so svelte and thin and light... but I just need sound that doesnt sound like a transistor radio....

7. Marty

So the performance is worse than the VTN8. I haven't noticed any missed strokes using VTN8, despite it having an Atom 3470D. Vectoring occurs for large, fast circles, but I believe that is a OneNote interpolation quirk and doesn't occur in in art apps.

@Precurve did not mention any sort of vectoring or stroke irregularities when testing out the AES on the Encore 2 Write, and that only had a 3740D as well. I wonder if it might be a Win 10 issue rather than a processor issue.

You were using full desktop OneNote correct? 2016 or 2013? (Probably shouldn't make a difference, but who knows?)

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

How much of the bottleneck in performance do you think is due to the Atom X5(I don't see why they didn't go with the X7), and not the EMMC drive?

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If it can't keep up with fast note-taking, then I can't imagine it would be much better in art programs. -Unless the drivers are specifically solve the problem.

Did you notice vectoring in SAI?

10. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That definitely looks like micro-usb not usb-c. Shame... I know the specs say USB-C so maybe the image is old? But USB-C definitely does not have an asymmetrical shape like that.

It also sounds like there's USB-C ports floating around without TB3, which is disappointing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk