DynaPad 12" (1920×1280) Win10 - $650 pre-order

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by thatcomicsguy, Jan 2, 2016.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Toshiba DynaPad N72/TG

Featuring Wacom's AES stylus and a detachable keyboard.

It runs on an Atom chip, so.., kinda on the light side, but with Windows 10 it looks like it might make a reasonably versatile sketch pad. It comes in one pre-fab configuration.

• [CPU] Atom x5-Z8300 (1.44GHz) [memory] 4GB [HDD] 128GB [monitor]
    • microUSB2.0 × 2, [Tablet] 1 slot (microSD)
    • HDMI (micro) output terminal × 1
    • 12.0" 1920 x 1280
    • [OS] Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Horizontal (W): 299.4mm
    • Height (H): body: 6.9mm / keyboard dock when connected: 14.9mm
    • Depth (D): 203mm
    • Weight: body: 569 g - 1.25 lbs / keyboard dock when connected: 996 g - 2.2 lbs
    Detailed specs here.

Anyway, it's supposed to be available in the U.S. in the first quarter 2016. It's currently on sale in Japan for around $950.

Update: Available for pre-order for $649.99 from Toshiba US. Estimated ship date 01/19/2016.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    alextrela182 and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are actually 2 models of this device:

The consumer-oriented dynaPad N72 (retailing for ~120000 yen) and the professional-oriented dynaPad S92 (no price available yet).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only difference between the models is the operating system: Win10 Home for the N72 vs Win10 Pro for the S92.

A little pricey, but I love the overall dimensions and resolution of the tablet--and from Precurve's tests, it looks like Toshiba has the best implementation of Wacom AES so far...I'll definitely be checking these out if I get the chance in Japan.

3. thatcomicsguy

Are you heading to Japan in the near future?

4. Marty

I'm planning a trip in the first-half of this year. Hopefully, I'll get to see a demo unit...although it might be a niche product, so I might have to ask around to know where I can see one.

Last time I was in Japan, there didn't seem any rhyme or reason to what the electronic retailers were carrying, lol. Maybe somebody on these forums could fill me in on the best place for tablets?

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The expensive one has Office and cost around 165 000 yen. If you are in Tokyo the easiest place to get a good overview, but not the best price, is Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara, just next to the station.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Marty

Thanks for the tip, Kuma. :)

I've explored the Yodobashi in Ikebukuro and found a pretty good assortment of laptops, but not too many tablets.

I also briefly stopped at the Yodobashi in Akihabara...but I got quickly side-tracked by all the otaku goods outside, haha. I'll give it another perusal while I'm down there.

Do you know of any places that carry more professional-oriented products like the Canvas Z and Dynabook Kira L93? Those are 2 models which I have debated time-and-again for replacing my main tablet and it's not unfathomable that I could impulse buy them right there (maybe a just released Skylake refresh..haha. :D)

7. Kumabjorn

The Akihabara I'm familiar with is no more, there used to be all kinds of specialty shops, one only sold components for remote controllers, but the seem to have succumbed to big box stores. If you walk along Showa Dori you might find shops like that on the opposite side of the station. But again, it's been a while.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. Marty

Yeah, I miss the old Akihabara "Electric Town" too...but that was like 20 years ago, dude! Now it's all moe, moe and gatcha, gatcha! ;)

So you don't really know of any boutique electronics shops?

For example, there are specialty camera shops for pro photographers that specialize in high-end Canon, Fujifilm and Sony gear.

I was hoping to go somewhere that demoed the latest Vaio, Toshiba and Fujitsu computers for business users and professional designers. <-- my fantasy store that I know must exist, cuz Japan's awesome :p

9. Kumabjorn

Radio town closed down just a few years ago, I believe Laox is still around. I don't live in Tokyo anymore. When women turn 30 we are put out to pasture, no longer allowed in the 23 wards. There is always Bic Camera in Yurakucho for something a little different, but Japanese retailers are no longer as adventurous as they used to be. There is one on route from Shinjuku station to Isetan. Don't remember the name and it might have closed but they sometimes had far that was difficult to find other places.

Balbutio ergo sum

10. thatcomicsguy

When CES comes along, news flies quickly and tends to be a little sketchy around the edges. Bearing that in mind...

A price point has been announced: $569.99

Available for pre-order starting now. Source