DVD possibly fried

Discussion in 'Asus' started by P8RSON, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well after a grand total of three days, my DVD drive seems to be fried. The system can detect it ( things like Nero Infotool seem to be able to see the device properly). The problem is that no type of CD or DVD can be read.

Since this is my first slot load device, I was wondering if this is a common problem. The device seems to make more noise than I would expect when inserting it ( certainly more than a tray would make )...is that normal?

Anyone with advice other than calling Asus support?

Thanks.

2. alphaswift

Additional info. My System Event Log is filled with:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0"

3. alphaswift

Bah:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: --

Just for fun, I uninstalled the driver and then let it re-install on a reset. No joy.

Then I put in a bootable CD and that didn't work either.

"He's dead, Jim"

4. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Pull the drive out and reseat it.

5. alphaswift

Tried it, didn't help. Thanks, though.

I'm seeing at various places on the web that the problem is associated with a cabling problem ( like the IDE cable is reversed ). In a laptop, would this mean the problem is inside the DVD unit or inside the Notebook itself somewhere between the mainboard and the connector? (Not that I could fix it...just curious)

6. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know what you're reading, but I know a lot of you tablet guys have no other experience with Asus - which is a shame... I'm only saying this because any sort of problem with an Asus unit is like 1 in 1000. I can basically assure you that there's not a problem with your wiring... it's not even a consideration. You said it stopped working, correct? Well, I don't know what could have happened, but the drives are rather robust, regardless of what a super slim drive with a slot load may come off looking..... but if you did anything - and it turned out not to be software related... then it's the drive........ going to the motherboard isn't even an option unless there's something else you neglected to realize that happened... but the drive hooks right to the motherboard... so there's no cabling.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well... not with ASUS tablets guarenteed but laptops, yes.

As to the problem itself, my daughters ASUS laptop developed a similar problem after about 6 months of use.
    It's noisy and very tempermental about the media you now insert.
    I've put it down to an error in the drive with a misaligned beam.

This may be what has happened..

8. alphaswift

I called Asus this morning and with very little hassle, they're going to send me up a new optical drive and I'll return my busted one back to them.

Nice guy, good service so far. For people wondering about the Asus service experience, I was amazed that a real human picked up the phone within moments of me reaching the right department. I was also relieved I wouldn't have to package up the entire laptop and ship it back.

Of course the proof is in the pudding ( as my Grandma liked to say ) so I'll keep you all posted.

9. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

nice i am impressed. service seems as good as apple computers'. and yeah they do pick up phone fast after reaching the right department, i have called them before regarding some technical questions.

10. alphaswift

So, in order to do a same-time exchange of my optical drive, Asus needed a Terms and Conditions form followed by an 'application' :rolleyes: for an advance RMA, which includes a credit card number. Then they'll send the replacement. It's all done by fax, so not exactly speedy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.