DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by skifast, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gil-galad

gil-galad Pen Pal - Newbie

It is possible to order the T4220 from Fujitsu without the optical drive. If you want to see for yourself, go to http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4220, choose "Customize", then scroll down to "Optical Drive". The default is "Modular Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer", but there is also "Modular DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive", "Modular DVD-ROM Drive" or "None".

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I said in my first reply ~ it is quite unusual as it ships default with the drive.

Now that doesn't mean to say you can't configure without a drive but it is highly unusual.

My query is that the ad doesn't say there is no DVD drive, only that it has two batteries.
    As the Tablet normally ships with the DVD drive, to most that would mean you are getting the machine and the modular battery.

Basically what we are saying here is; if there is any doubt or cloud in what the package contains, find out before the purchase.

3. gil-galad

I'm sorry, I wasn't defending the seller, I just wanted to point out that a newly sealed box and a missing optical drive is not a contradiction. I fully agree with you that the ad was indeed very misleading and that one would expect the optical drive to be included if not otherwise noted.

4. skifast

skifast Pen Pal - Newbie

I asked the seller and he said it was not included.

5. gil-galad

So you knew it the DVD drive wouldn't be included before you bought? Well, that makes this whole discussion a bit pointless, although I still think it should have been in the ebay description.

Back to your questions:

1. You can get the modular drive at the Fujitsu online store (http://store.shopfujitsu.com). Unfortunately, it's way overpriced. The dvd writer (FPCDLD40AP) is 249$ and even the DVD/CDRW combo drive (FPCDVR62AP) is 169$.

2. If you can live with an external drive, that will be much cheaper. Installing Windows from an external should not normally be a problem, but you'd better double check this before you buy, there may be issues with certain drives.

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I couldn't have put it any better Gil...[​IMG]

7. skifast

skifast Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, I did not notice that the description did not include a drive, until after I won the auction.

I just wanted to make sure I could boot from an external drive.

8. rthree

rthree Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.