DV8P2 (5855) working great after rebuild?!?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by gregoryx, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

In a strange twist, I thought I'd share the latest in the DV8P saga with y'all. I damaged my Win10 install beyond repair somehow and decided to just install from scratch with Win10Pro. I updated to the latest BIOS and let it install and update itself away. Since all drivers installed and the touch was acting up, I just installed that driver - nothing else. And... weird... it's working better than ever.

Touch is 100% reliable while laying flat (it wasn't working before).
    Stylus accuracy is as good or better than ever.
    Battery life is better than ever - and the tablet just turns off and on as it should (unlike before).

So... wow... no idea how / when / what driver / update screwed it up but it's working great now. I may even look for a small keyboard to use with it and us it as my "away" computer again.

2. gregoryx

Oh... only complaint now is the continued lack of a Swype / Flow keyboard. Otherwise, working great.

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great to hear--congrats!

4. gregoryx

Need Swype keyboard! LOL

Sent from my Nexus 6P

5. horn

horn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, Gregoryx, can you write a detailed instruction to tell us how to do it? What driver we should install and where to get it? I'm not computer guy and need your guide.

6. horn

horn Pen Pal - Newbie

Gregoryx, do you need usb hub for installing?

7. gregoryx

Sorry for the delay, @horn .

Gist of it is to download Win10 from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ - I used Win10Pro 64-bit since I have licenses for it) and follow their instructions to make a USB flash drive for install.

I think I used one of my USB-C to USB-A adapters to do the install; but I can't recall for sure. Pretty sure I just used a cheap-o USB-C male to USB-A female adapter with a basic USB flash drive plugged into a cheap USB hub that also had a keyboard and mouse plugged in.

Gotta configure the BIOS to boot from the stick. (Power up while holding volume-up key)

I'm pretty sure I needed a keyboard and/or mouse for the setup - so need to use a hub.

Choose the install versus repair option. Then wipe all the partitions. Then let it install.

The latest Win10 had enough drivers to get most things working. At least the 64-bit Pro version I used - I'd expect the same of the other versions. After it finally installed, I just let it do all the updates. That got pretty much everything working. If I recall correctly, either the touch or stylus didn't work and needed the Dell driver. But that was it. So much more stable since then. Crazy.

8. horn

horn Pen Pal - Newbie

Fresh installed Windows 10 as Gregoryx said. Didn't install any drivers just let the tablet update and everything works, performance is better. Thanks. Gregoryx.

gregoryx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.