Dutch handwriting recognition and MS Office 2003 Multi Language Proofing Tools

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nazdrovje, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazdrovje

Nazdrovje Pen Pal - Newbie

XP tablet edition 2005 does not do Dutch handwriting recognition. I know that the abletFactory (http://www.abletfactory.com/products.htm ) sells tools to add words to the Tablet OS dictionary (abletDictionaryMgr). However, I find the utility/price ratio a bit low. Apparently, I have to pay $100 for a utility that just moves a word list (a Dutch SPID costs $50 in addition to the manager software) into a user-dictionary. That's a one-trick pony and not a very impressive trick at that (or so it seems at least).

I was wondering if I could buy the MS Office 2003 Multi Language Proofing Tools (I can get that at academic rates). This package contains a Dutch spelling checker. Is it possible that the Tablet OS and Office 2003 can be made to share this library?

Another option would be a (freeware) utility to add word lists to the OS user-dictionary. Dutch word lists can be found for free on the internet. Anyone knows such a utility?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you can add words to the microsoft dictionary. I mean, I can write in Japanese on my tablet through the input pannel

3. Nazdrovje

Yes, but as I understand it, it is a one word at a time process involving several mouse clicks. I don't want to do that for a list of 100,000 or so words...:(

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

good point. there are other softwares for tablets that I found a while ago but did not need. look around.

5. Nazdrovje

I looked around and found the "Dictionary Tool for Tablet PC" powertoy (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/downloads/powertoys.asp ) , which enables imports from world lists from text files and office dictionaries :D . It is as yet unclear to me whether or not it is able to import Dutch spelling dictionaries into the US English tablet OS. As I understood, those dictionaries are tagged with the language type, and it might be that the tool doesn't 'cross import', i.e. imports Dutch words in the English system dictionary.

Actually, I would like that I could set the system to recognize my handwriting according to the language setting in the language toolbar. I usually write pieces in English and in Dutch, but generally not at the same time. Recognition might be improved if the list just contains the word groups you'd need at any given moment (come to think of it, my 'Dutch' is often severely contaminated with English, so a combined list may be better after all).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.