Dust under the T4210 screen

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by terencec, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty

Dusty Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Kureshii,

Not yet. Anyway, I don't think it will be easy to find a service point here in Italy, because the Lifebook T series is unknown here...

Thx!

2. Mikess

Mikess Pen Pal - Newbie

I have also noticed dust under my T4210 screen. It is especially noticable when I use it outdoors i sunlight. For me it is not a big problem. I have had the same problem with my latest cell phones.... But anyway, the dust is still there and I agree that it must be a design flaw.

BR,
    Mikess

3. emotionr

emotionr Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow I just pondered on this and I am interested to see I am not the only one.
    I saw a dust particle which I thought was outside but turned out to be in the screen. I thought I was hallucinating for I never seen this kind of problem.

So yea, I too had a dust particle 'under' a lcd screen.
    Sad and lame~ I thought Fuji was suppose to be great but the more I use this the more I find problems. I may as well return this to newegg and keep my Dell M1210.

4. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Thread ressurection... Anyways, the T2010 series is also having this problem. Just clean the screen yourself by removing the screws. Though I must admit, it is very hard work. A tip for you guys.. have steam in the room that your are working in. Take out the battery and start the steam. Once there is steam, open up the tablet and wipe all the dust and put it back on again.
    The steam is there to take down all those floating dust particles.
    Allow your tablet to sit for one day before using it, just in case a little water has gotten in.

5. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

I had a BlackBerry Curve 8300. It got dust under the screen. I called RIM. They said it was a defect and sent me a replacement. I recently upgraded to the BlackBerry Curve 8310 because it has GPS. :)

I know this is not a PDA phone but a tablet-convertible, but that's just food for thought.

6. CheebaKhan

CheebaKhan Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if there's more dust, in general, in devices with active digitizers.

usually, anything that puts out an electric field wil attract dust
    (especially if its from a DC source).

I know of some people who've used fans with ioniziers to "scrub" dust off of some components in old substations...

7. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

Ionizer fans eh, negatively charged air will draw the dust and woosh away from the tpc...

This problem is a big concern of mine. I absolutely can NOT have dust under the screen of my TPC. I seriously hope Fujitsu fixes this.

8. The Proton

The Proton Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan to take my 4121 in an off road vehicle where there will be severe and small dust particles. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to seal up the entire unit. My plan is to replace the HDD with a solid state unit, and disconnect the battery to reduce heat as much as possible. In addition I will put the CPU into its lowest power mode. Once this is done I plan to tape over every hole in the case, including the fan. Does anyone think this will work? As a backup I could solder a copper wire to the heat sink and run it outside the case I suppose, but I'm not sure that would really work.

Anyone else tried running one of these completly sealed? The environment is dusty enough that I need to wear a mask sometimes, so it will really need to be sealed.

Thanks

9. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Will not work.

The CPU is almost entirely cooled through the heatsink and the fan. So even in the lowest power settings the CPU heats up the heatsink too much which then has to get cooled through the fan.
    You will have to build a case around your tablet which contains cool air (passive cooled or compressor).
    Other option is to build a case around it and add a few fans with a dust mask in front of them to the case. So that only clean air gets to the tablet.
    Another option is to mod your tablet, remove the fan and cool the heatsink with an external water cooling system or directly with a compressor cooling.
    Disassembly of the Fujitsu LifeBook T4200 Series Tablet PC

Or search for a passive cooled ruggedized tablet PC :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. The Proton

The Proton Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Frank for the quick answer, even if its not what I wanted to hear... My unit is a st4121, didn't realize that the thread was 4200 based

I hadn't thought of filtering the air. I think what I will try first is sealing the entire unit except one area, where I will enlarge the holes. Then add a filter to this area, possibly adding another fan to make up for the drag of the filter.

I've used passive cooled Itronix 250's in the past, but they are just getting too old. They had mono screens which are direct sunlight viewable. The Fujitsu's screen is the only color one I've seen that you can really see in direct sun, plus I already have one to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.