duo 11 win 8 to win 7

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by andya147, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

this may sound crazy but i cant get used to win 8 and if im not able to downgrade to win 7 then i think
    i will be selling my sony duo 11.
    no start menu ,dont want a 3rd party app,no areo glass ,metro i cant stand ..has any one tried this or
    is anyone not wanting to get used to 8 ..win 7 had everything i would ever need and win 8 for
    some people will be good but its so disjointed ..not sure if all the drivers will be available for the
    duo 11 anyone any ideas before i start my research .i like the duo a lot ,the screen is great ,n trig i like
    not much heat which i love and not a load fan ...thing i cant stand is win 8 and i know i wont ever
    like the ui...

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Question: What did you use the aero glass for? The start menu is still see-through and you can, pretty much, add all your usual shortcuts just as you did with Windows 7. In the great scheme of things Win8 isn't that shockingly different from WIn8 (In my opinion and the testers in work).

- Desktop, click the folder to the bottom left, Right click Documents and Pin To Start
    - Repeat for Music, Pictures and videos. You now have your Libraries back but on the new ui

Question 2: What did you actually use the Start menu for that's not still available to you? If you tell us specifics we might be able to provide solutions that you haven't noticed or know about.

Other than that... I'd probably suggest that you return the device. On another note Windows 8 is here to stay for the next few years so maybe sit down, have a bit of a search for hints and tips and after awhile you might come to terms with the changes?

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If you backup your drivers and drive before you start, there's nothing to lose -- apart from time. You can install Win7 on a separate partition or wipe out the whole drive and start from scratch with Win7. Wiping the drive would give you more free space, but it's up to you. Once you start your experiment, please, keep us posted.

To backup your drivers, use the free and open source DriverBackup.

DriverBackup - YouTube

To backup your system, use Clonezilla (a bit difficult) or Redo (super easy!). Both utilities are free and can be booted from LiveCDs or Thumb drives. With Clonezilla you can backup the whole SSD or just the C: partition. Redo, from what I can remember, can only image the whole drive....I'm not sure.

Redo Backup and Recovery Live CD - YouTube
    Casual Clonezilla tutorial - YouTube

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. skallal

skallal Pen Pal - Newbie

Before you give up on Windows 8, do a search for the Aero Lite theme. It isn't Aero glass, but it looks makes Windows 8 kook much nicer IMHO. It gives scrollbars a 3D look on many desktop apps.

Also, try 3rd party start menu. Classic Shell is free, but I use Start8 for $5.

You should at least give these a try before going back to 7.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

thx for the replies guys ...just a bit busy next couple of days but i will be trying to put win 7 on my sony...i understand what people are saying and its called progress ,but to me its a step in the wrong direction.im used to windows 7 and were everything is ,i dont want to change ,and i dont need to change .having to use a third party app to get a start menu is crazy ,,the way my brain works is left hand side start menu,search etc ...as for the areo glass it looked more polished.windows 8 looks to me flat ...even if they were giving windows 8 away free i just dont want it and the user should have the choice of start menu etc etc ....for some people they will love win 8 and maybe in time i could get used to it ..bring back the start menu and allow areo glass and i will be happy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.