Dual screen laptop/tablets?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by IsaacKuo, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking at the new dual screen Yotaphone got me thinking:

YotaPhone 2 hands-on review: Dual-screen Android smartphone gets better - PC Advisor

The Yotaphone has displays on both sides, an e-ink on the "back" and a normal display on the "front". Are there any laptops that do a similar thing? I mean that the lid of the laptop has displays on both sides.

That way, the laptop has the same hinge as a normal clamshell laptop, but it converts into a table when closed because the outer display is then usable. Personally, I would love such a laptop if the hinge were set so that the lid could fold flat--opening 180 degrees. That way, the LED display could still be useful for drawing.

Could a Wacom digitizer be designed or adapted to detect the pen from either side, rather than just one side?

To me, this would be the ideal device--a low power color e-ink display in tablet mode for sketching, notes, and light web reading...but it opens into a normal laptop with an LED display for more serious use. Plus, it has a fold-flat mode for artwork with keyboard (even if maybe the keyboard is sideways or upside-down).

For media consumption, the traditional laptop hinge means the screen could easily hold itself upright at a nice angle (I feel 360 degree double-hinges are a bit wibbly wobbly compared to a traditional hinge).

Anything like this already, or in the works?

Thanks!

2. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

If I'm not mistaken, there is one device that matches that kind of description - the ASUS Taichi line of convertibles. Uses N-Trig though, and only works on the outer screen.
    Screen on the inside doesn't offer touch either. AFAIK there's no word of an updated version coming.

Asus Taichi Review - Laptop & Notebook computers

A few years back, Acer also had this wacky laptop - dual screens - one where'd you expect, the other where you would normally find the keyboard.

Acer ICONIA 6120 Dual-Screen Touchbook Review - Laptops - CNET Reviews

3. IsaacKuo

Thanks for the pointer to the Asus Taichi! Yeah, that one seems odd. Too bad it's kind of expensive, or I'd be interested even with the quirks.

4. hiddensanctum

hiddensanctum Pen Pal - Newbie

Hard to make these cheap. You are essentially adding an extra screen with pen support and not to mention the extra weight of the extra screen. Not a dual screen device, but also take a look at the Sony Flip 13A. I currently have one, also N-trig pen support but it pretty decent.

5. IsaacKuo

Yes, that's why I was wondering whether a Wacom digitizer could be designed to detect the stylus from both sides. On my T5010, for example, the stylus position is rejected if it's behind the screen (rather than in front of the screen).

As for the expense and weight of the extra screen--yes, there is that. I wish/hope that an e-ink screen, lacking a backlight, wouldn't add too much to the expense and weight. It would also hopefully be counterbalanced by the simpler lighter clamshell hinges (compared to the rotating hinge of a convertible).

6. benroveno

benroveno Pen Pal - Newbie

Sony Vaio Dual 11 is also a great full-fledged laptop that can be altered into tablet, right? With the lid that can be flipped to almost full 360 degree that forms it into tablet.

7. rey chapin

rey chapin Pen Pal - Newbie

need a recover disc for a Acer Iconia Dual Touch PAU30
    any one ?
    thx rey

8. tabletteddy

tabletteddy Pen Pal - Newbie

is there more news on these Yota things?

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Aren't Yota phones and not tablets?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

10. musteringvines

musteringvines Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you heard about Dragonfly Futurefön? For $400 you get a phone that docks to a computer running Windows for a dual-screen mobile computing experience. It docks into a base with a full keyboard and a second 7-inch screen running Windows 8.1. This entire dual-screen computer can then fold up into a package about an inch thick for travel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.