Dual Screen for Sketching

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Fujitsa, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fujitsa

Fujitsa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all!

I am currently running a Fujitsu t5010 and use it mainly for sketching and concept art. My weapon of choice is sketchbook pro, the issue i'm having is that my screen is starting to be clogged up with lots of different palettes, and utility tools, reducing the screen space available for my actual sketching.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems like this, and was able to solve it? or had any ideas to throw around? I was thinking either a skin mod for the program itself, or getting a secondary screen for my laptop, maybe something with a touch screen and using that to place all my adjustable things. Or maybe sourcing a dead tablet and using its screen?

Thanks for any advice!

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know it can be done....but I'm just not sure how well it can be done on a tablet pc. Dual screens require usually 2 video/graphics cards.....or in some cases one really powerful one.......frankly in either case, Tablet PCs don't fit the bill.

This is something much more common with Cintiq users. I've heard of some cases where artists get both the 21 inch and 12 inch Cintiq....using the 12 inch one exclusively for pallettes and toolbars, etc.

3. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

If it's a halfway recent model there's no problems with driving two screens. If only one is really big and you don't need anything 3D bases you're fine with the X3100 and later.
    If you can spare Aero, even a GMA950 has no problems driving two big screens.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Heck, I have this problem with my real-life drafting board when I get lazy.

Pencils and pens, tubes of paint, jars overflowing with brushes and markers. Papers with reference pictures and old sketches taped here and there and stacks of comics and books to one side which I might have been looking at weeks ago but never put away and which just got buried. General crap. Things can get bad quick, so it pays to stay on top of it.

I find an efficient workspace is about being rigorous about only keeping out the exact tools I'll need, and putting away everything else.

A digital work surface is not that much different. I like it best when I can keep my necessary tools, (I work on Photoshop mostly), as keyboard short cuts so that the screen can be 100% canvas. When I need to muck around with layers or more complex tools, I'll just hit 'Tab' to bring all the menus back, select, and then 'Tab' again to vanish them.

I find that works for me.

It was a bit awkward to learn all the keyboard short cuts, but now they're muscle memory and my Left hand is in charge of that stuff and my Right is all about the drawing.

I was using Sketchbook Pro a while ago, (I've discovered to my surprise that it runs rather well on my system), but I didn't explore long enough to learn the keyboard shortcuts, but I imagine it must work much the same. . ?

Hm. I guess I should mention. . . I have an external USB keyboard set up within easy reach. I don't know what I'd do otherwise. Maybe an on-screen macro to toggle between full menus and full canvas? Shouldn't be hard to create one.

5. Fujitsa

Fujitsa Pen Pal - Newbie

darkmagistric I've used my laptop with a projector before and it seems to work fine, but I was considering getting a little 10" USB monitor, the only issue is that it has to work with the digitizer pen, which im unsure if they exist or not, and being a uni student, the thought of buying both a 21 and 12 inch cintique, is still a dream, although I am lucky enough to have access to the 21inch screens at my uni!

Hattori Hanzo Yeh, its a powerful little bugga, so it should hold up strong!

thatcomicsguy Thanks for the suggestion! i can understand what messy can be like.. my room and garage are a total chaotic ball of crap when i'm full blast. I have used Photoshop before, and it seems to be a more economical program in terms of how much canvas to tools ratio I am able to achieve, but my lecturer is really focused on sketch book pro, and as you probably know, its quite a "dumbed" down version, so although simplicity is the key, it misses out on lots of simple things, like being able to resize some windows! I'll definitely take a look into the settings and see what i can do to fiddle around with the program. I might just invest in one of those fold able keyboards, so i can being it around with me!

Btw, If i bought an old tablet pc, with a digitizer that worked with my current one, and only used it for dual screening, what are the chances that might work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.