Dual-N Routers with a tx2500?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Skratch, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skratch

Skratch Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently received my tx2500 and am looking to update my home network. The snazziest new router seems to be the Linksys WRT610N which has simultaneous dual-N bands.

Does anything actually use the 5.0 GHz band yet? Read here that Broadcom adapters are set up for both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. But that's a year old.

Can I select this with the a/b/g/n/bt radio in my tx2500?

Thanks for any help. I won't even start asking about 20 MHz vs 40 MHz specturm availablity. This stuff is pretty confusing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. gregh2000

gregh2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the TX2110us and am using the Netgear dual band N router using N on the 5GHz band. There is something with the MHz with how fast you can connect. It explained it in my router setup. My computer came with the a/b/g/n +bt broadcom card. The 5GHz seems to work very well and the range is pretty good. The router I have has a light for each band and the 5GHz light is the only one blinking when I use the net so I know it is on the 5 band. It says it should failover to the 2.4 if needed.

These are the modes my router has:

* Up to 270Mbps at 2.4GHz
    * Up to 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54Mbps at 2.4GHz
    * Up to 130Mbps at 2.4GHz
    * Up to 130Mbps at 5GHz & 54Mbps at 2.4GHz

You get to pick what you want to use. The router has 2 radios in it, one for each signal. Each has its own SSID and everything so you can run G stuff without getting in the way of N. My router is the WNDR3300. I got it at Best Buy if you are curious about it, lol.

Hope that helps.

3. zeromeus

zeromeus Pen Pal - Newbie

Bands and Frequencies

a band uses 5.0GHz at 54Mbps but at a much shorter range

b band uses 2.4GHz at 11Mbps

g band uses 2.4GHz but offers higher speed at 54Mbps

n band uses both 2.4GHz and/or 5.0GHz allowing MIMO (Multiple in, multiple out). This band is currently in it's "beta" form... hence, called n draft. It offers data rate up to 300Mbps.

4. area52

area52 Scribbler - Standard Member

gregh2000, that Netgear router seems to only have bad customer reviews at various sites. You haven't had any problems with yours?

5. biohzd79

biohzd79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Our Tx2xxxs have the a/b/g/n. The a is 5MHz, and the b/g/n is 2.4MHz. But, can we receive a 802.11n 5MHz signal?

6. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah but doesn't leaving the a band on your wireless make horrible noises when listening to music. I have to disable it in 64 bit and 32bit with HP or latest drivers from broadcom. Otherwise I go nuts. I thought everyone has this problem with the n chip.

7. zeromeus

zeromeus Pen Pal - Newbie

You do understand that the 5 MHz frequency has nothing todo with the speed, right? It's Just a frequency for the radio signal. The 5 MHz frequency is currently the cause of the muffled Sowed on some tablets. So... use the 2.4 GHz frequency and you will be much happier without the interference.

8. gregh2000

gregh2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had no real problems with my Netgear router at all it works great. The blue lights on the top that show what antennas are in use are annoying but can be disabled by just pushing on top of the router. Other than that no problems at all. Oh, I take that back there is one other issue and that is if you are too close to the router like 4ft or closer the N signal goes away. If you move back it comes back at full strength. I never have problems with music skipping or weird noises on my computer using the N band over 5GHz. I can stream, play off the hard drive, or off my server and no problems. My only gripe with the music is that there is no custom equalizer available.

The 5GHz doesn't go as far as the G, but it is pretty close. There is a lot less interference on that band. In fact I am the only one in my neighborhood using N on 5GHz, where there are about 10 G routers I can pick up in my living room and most of the neighbors have theirs on channel 6, lol.

I can go a good solid 2 houses down the street and still have 2 bars of 5GHz signal which is pretty decent. The rate drops as the signal drops is really the big thing. My whole house is covered and I get over 200Mbps everywhere. It is nice for file transfers, however the wired LAN ports on the Netgear are only 10/100 so you can't get speeds over 100 unless you were doing wireless to wireless. That was the kicker when I bought it, either gigabit LAN and no Dual band, or what I have now.

The router is supposed to run N over the 2.4 if you have computers that have N on 2.4, but the tablet is my only computer with N so that isn't a big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.