Dual Channel?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Duface, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duface

Duface Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed 2x2gb OCZ ram sticks into my 2500z, it recognized it fine, but CPU-Z shows nothing in the channel field, its just a grayed out box. Is it because it's still not fully compatible with the Puma platform for what? Anyone have any experience? I didnt try CPU-Z with my original ram sticks.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Duface,

What version of CPU-Z are you using? The latest 1.46 version supports the Puma platform. If you are, you might want to help the author out and post a Info dump (About -> Registers Dump) at their forums.

There's also a beta version that you might want to try, here that is current as of July 27th.

3. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

You could run the Windows Experience Index thing again. If mem stays at 5.9 then probably safe to assume all is OK.

4. Coolpix

Coolpix Pen Pal - Newbie

[Just 4 reference]

I purchased a pair of OCZ 2GBx2 desktop DDR2 ram for my HP desktop, and CPU-Z reports non-dual-channel mode.

Fed up the lack of space to upgrade, I simply changed almost everything in the desktop, of course the motherboard. Surprisingly, same OCX rams, CPU-Z reports dual-channel mode.

On my tx2110, I simply upgraded to Corsair 2GBx2. And CPU-Z reports dual-channel mode.

Sometimes, compatibility does matter.

5. Duface

Duface Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using the version 1.46. Ill look into the beta. The ram score dropped to 4.9. Thanks for your help guys.

6. Crito

OCZ has always worked great for me. That's what I've got in my other HP laptop, so I swapped that 4GB with teh 2GB in my tx2500 and despite CPUZ not showing dual channel, my score stayed at 5.9. So I downloaded SiSoft Sandra and ran benchmarks and it fell right in line with dual channel DDR2-800.

So I'm inclined to think it's CPUZ's problem this time around. Don't know why your score dropped... maybe something else running int he background skewed it.

Will post some pics before I swap them back out.

7. Crito

What HP put in:
    [​IMG]
    OCZ 4GB laptop upgrade:
    [​IMG]
    OCZ benchmarked:
    [​IMG]

8. Crito

Should have run SiSoft Sandra on old modules too, just to be sure. Kind of enjoying having the OCZ sticks in my tx2500 right now though. The whole machine feels much faster. But these same modules in my other laptop show up as dual and symmetric in CPUZ, so I dunno...

HP does cripple the BIOS in many models though. I read somewhere (might have been here even) that if you swap out the Broadcom WiFi card in a tx2500 with a non-HP model you get some sort of error msg from the BIOS. I know on my own HP Dragon (HDX9010nr) laptop they somehow locked the memory speed in at 333Mhz. So even though the chipset is capable and the new OCZ modules I put in are/were capable the system just refuses to run them at 400Mhz. So it's entirely possible they've done something similar here if you put in a non-hp approved brand of mem.

9. Crito

PC2-5300 dual channel in my Dragon only benches at 4.05GB/s in Sandra (vs. 6.15GB/s, above). That's using an Intel Core 2 Duo at exact same speed of 2.20 GHz. So I'm inclined to believe the only problem here is that CPUZ doesn't know how to deal with the new chipset. Puma runs pretty quick with these OCZ modules if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.