Dual Boot Vista-Xp step by step tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RonaldReagan, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirjaume

sirjaume Pen Pal - Newbie

I ve got a tx2500 and i really hate vista system.I recognize some tablet functions are just for vista as well as some screen buttons but i also would like to try the speed boost that can offer me the Xp system
    How can i create a dual boot operation system?i would like the default option would be vista
    thanks

2. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't understand what is so slow about vista. I keep hearing people say this, but my vista snaps for everything I do. After 2 weeks on a fresh install every app that I use everyday loads within 3 seconds on battery. If you are having major problems with vista, try the fresh install of vista before going crazy with the XP install.

That said, to make your machine daul boot you need:

Installation DVD for Vista
    Installation CD for XP with integrated drivers for AMD sata driver
    Backup of swsetup folder for the Vista installation on DVD or external HD.

Once you have these three things you will:

1. Boot from XP CD.
    2. Delete all partitions
    3. Create a 20gig Partition for XP
    4. Create a 60gig Partition for Vista
    5. Create a Partition with the remaining space for all your documents, drivers, etc
    6. Install XP on the 20Gig partition (you can follow the Sticky thread for this)
    7. Boot computer from Vista DVD
    8. Choose advanced options and install on the 60Gig Partition. It will automatically create the boot manager for you to start either operating system, and default to vista
    9. Follow the sticky for reinstalling Vista
    10. You are done, be sure to store all your files on the 3rd partition so they are easily accessible in either operating system and you have the ability to reinstall with moving your files back and forth.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Make sure to burn you recovery disks you will no longer have access to the restore/recovery partition. (Even though it will still be there)

Use the start bar & type in computer management, then go to storage, then disk management snap in.

1. Right Click on the C: Drive and select shrink volume.
    [​IMG]

2. Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
    [​IMG]

3. An Unallocated partition will be present, right click and select new simple volume.
    [​IMG]

4. Click Next, Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
    [​IMG]

5. Decide whether to manually assign a drive letter, let the system automatically enumerate the drive, and then click Next.
    [​IMG]

6. click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:
    [​IMG]

7. Select NTFS as the file system

8. Leave allocation unit size as default

9. Name the Hard Disk, under Volume Label (possibly Xp?)

10. Check the Box perform a quick format

11. Click Next and then Finish.
    [​IMG]

12. Put the XP disk in the drive, restart the computer and press f12 to get to the boot menu.

13. Select CD/DVD Drive and then press any key to boot the XP Installation media.

Follow the instructions on screen choose the partition you created to install the operating system to and complete the installation procedure.

After starting into XP for the first time, download & install EasyBCD.

and add an entry making pointing the XP Partition to the C Drive & the Vista Entry to the C Drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. sirjaume

sirjaume Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks i will follow your instructions!

5. DRTigerlilly

@number2jcb there is no reason to delete all partitions or reinstall Vista.

The idea of a 3rd partition to store files, is definitely a good idea, though i tend to keep my files stores externally.

6. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

Old habits die hard & I never used the EasyBCD.

If I decide to go with a daul boot system, I always wanted my files to be somewhere else so that I knew everything was in one spot no matter what OS I was using. I also wanted the boot managers of each OS to be in their best possible state, and in general new understands old much better.

You could set something similar up though with your shrinking method, but I was under the impression that volume shrinking was a little tricky especially to recover large amounts of space. For the small amount needed for XP it will work, but to use it for recovering most of the drive you will need extra defrag tools and you will have to turn off hibernation, pagefiles, and system restore.

Also, reinstalling Vista clean with only the software he wants instead of the HP version may fix most of his speed issues. But that is another thread...

Also, to throw another wrench in the system, instead of partitioning, he could just use a 8gig flash drive for $20 bucks...

7. DRTigerlilly

i shrinked a 320gb hd this morning into a 100/200gb split w/ no issues this morning.

I was just looking for the easiest way to go about things.

I agree a fresh install would be optimal, but i wasn't sure if the user wanted to go that router, and just for clarification using easybcd, it is vista's bootloader that is controlling both OS's.

8. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

I keep getting a blue screen after windows copies files to my drive...... Anybody have advice?

9. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

You will have to slipstream SATA drivers on to the XP disc...
    http://tx2500z.googlepages.com/home

10. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the responce. I've tried that and it did not work, I used the drivers that were included in the download from that site. I plan to try the SATA drivers from the HP site tonight.

Is there any other reason for the blue that anyone else encountered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.