DTK-1651- I've got one, so if you're curious!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by harrodeleted, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I was scouring for info on this thing and could find none. So I bought it, and now I can theoretically answer your questions, if you have any.

Basically the DTK-1651 is one of wacoms "business solutions". It's hardware that takes its tech from the recent cintiq line, only it's been hobbled.

This means it has a less dense pixel grid, has "only" 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, not tilt, etc.

It's a 15.6" external screen @ 1080p. It needs to connect over HDMI, usb 2, and also an external power source.

The pen it comes with is pretty basic, but from what I understand the pro pen should also work with it, and it's in the mail.

The screen has a fairly slippery surface, but no rippling or anything.

The build quality is excellent! Really looks and feels great. You need to fiddle a bunch with the built in screen tweaks to get it bright, but it's quite nice after you do.

You can buy this thing for $700 on amazon, and it's probably the best deal on wacom screens you can get for that price (if new). Theoretically it has a 3 year warranty, but It seems to be too new to register on their site yet...

So yeah- any questions?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This works with normal Intuos4 pens right? If so, it might be possible to get tilt functionality with a driver hack. Did you try installing the Cintiq drivers by any chance?

3. harrodeleted

Yeah this should be whatever tech is in the "pro pen" and "grip pen". Which I believe includes the intuos 4?

I think the cintiq and dtk-1651 drivers are bundled together into one wacom driver, and it does detect the dtk-1651 when I installed it.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not positive since I never had any of the DTU tablets....but despite its slight model name change to DTK, I would be hesitant to make the assumption its a direct reference to the Intuos4/Cintiq DTK Pen gen. My money is that its still using the old Penabled UD Digitizer like that found in the previous DTU tablets and Tablet PCs. The pen specs are still the same, 1024 pressure, no tilt, etc.....It wouldn't make sense for Wacom to throw an improved digitizer system in if they had no intention of utilizing it.

5. harrodeleted

No they definitely changed the tech. I have a modbook which uses the older UD digitizers, and the stylus that works for that (and worked for an old intuos 3) doesn't work on the DTK- 1651. I also talked with a B&H representative that assured me the DTK-1651 would be compatible with the new pro pens, and grip pens.

It also *does* feel slightly snappier and more accurate than the old UD digitizer in the modbook, although that could be a placebo.

But again, I will test the pro pen on this when it arrives on the 24th.

6. Marty

Well, just checked the website and from the shots, it does definitely looks like a UD pen:

[​IMG] [​IMG]However from the DTK-2241 page, that one definitely looks like an Intuos pen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, if the DTK-1651 was UD-based, Wacom's model names would be inconsistent...do you have a DTK pen you could test with? Did you try installing the Cintiq drivers?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. harrodeleted

Well I ordered a pro pen, so that should be here in the next week, and I'll update when I get it.

The drivers I installed were the "WacomTablet_6.3.20-11"- which covers the DTK cintiq's I believe

- but I see it also covers the DTU drivers- so guess we'll have to wait for the pro pen to arrive to know for sure?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. harrodeleted

So I received my pro pen- and the tablet detects it.

But it's not usable. If I hold my original pen to the screen, and then put the "pro pen" next to it, the tablet detects it, and I can draw with the pro pen. But once I remove it and place it back on the screen it no longer detects the pen.

I assume they made it so the DTK-1651 can only work with the pen it is shipped with, through a hardware or software override.

This is frustrating- but it does confirm the digitizer is a real (if modified) DTK

- Not sure if there's any way around this- but if you know one?

Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

It is a firmware-based DTK lockout for UD boards (and Wacom has been doing that since the beginning).

This is sad news, but thank you for testing.

Now we all should take note: not all DTK models feature DTK digitizers!

10. harrodeleted

But the strange thing is that it doesn't work with the UD pen I have either?